none
Differences between Visual Studio

Question

• I'm confused! There are 3 free Visual Studios: Visual Studio Code, Visual Studio Express & Visual Studio Community.

I have a Mac & I've been playing around with Java. Java is so verbose. I'd like to try C#. I know that C# will run on Macs. Do I use Mono or Xamarin or one of the Visual Studios?

I want an IDE that will compile C# code. What I want to do is create a C# program on my Mac that will run on Windows.

What IDE do I use?

Monday, August 15, 2016 5:50 PM

Answers

• Hi macnerd,

>>I want an IDE that will compile C# code. What I want to do is create a C# program on my Mac that will run on Windows.

As said by Konrad. Only Visual Studio Code is compatible with Macs by default. I also suggest you use Visual Studio Code on mac.

But according to your requirement. I think Virtualization and dual boot (Windows) can be used instead.

Reference about how to run Visual Studio on Mac:

https://stormpath.com/blog/ultimate-guide-to-using-visual-studio-on-a-mac

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 1:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

only Visual Studio Code will run on OS X. Express and Community are Windows only.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, August 15, 2016 8:12 PM
  • Hi macnerd,

>>I want an IDE that will compile C# code. What I want to do is create a C# program on my Mac that will run on Windows.

As said by Konrad. Only Visual Studio Code is compatible with Macs by default. I also suggest you use Visual Studio Code on mac.

But according to your requirement. I think Virtualization and dual boot (Windows) can be used instead.

Reference about how to run Visual Studio on Mac:

https://stormpath.com/blog/ultimate-guide-to-using-visual-studio-on-a-mac

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 1:59 AM
  • Visual studio Code :

lightweight and multi plateform code only text editor, used mainly for web developpement .

no visual designer, no winform, no wpf no uwp

Visual studio express :

the previous free version of visual studio , the main limitation is that you can't use extensions with it

Visual studio Community :

the great newest and full featured free version of visual studio, with no express limitations,

basically it's the pro version of VS but free  :)

hope it helps !

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 1:58 PM
  • i have realized that you are on mac,

if you target mobile plateforms there is xamarin studio wich is available on mac and let you to use C# to produce native mobile apps on differents plateforms.

if it's desktop i don't know any tool on mac with C#.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:52 PM
  • Well, darn!

I can use Swift to create mobile apps for iOS. Apple made Swift open-source so, who knows, maybe Swift will replace Java someday!

Java is the only cross-platform programming language that I know of. 

What I want to do is create cross-platform programs that can be created/run on Macs & Windows. Java & other languages that run on the Java VM are the only languages that I know of that are cross-platform.

Looks like I'm out of luck. Looks like only Java suits my requirements. 

Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:30 PM
  • Hi,

maybe you want to check out mono, too. There are a few gui toolkits for mono: http://www.mono-project.com/docs/gui/.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:35 PM