none
Debug Capability Test (Logo) - Error: test timed out waiting for the kernel debugger to break in RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I'm getting this error running the Debug Capability Test using serial port connection. The connection is good and I'm able to break in with kernel debugger from host to target without any problem. However, under test automation, I consistently get this failure.

The debugger *is* breaking in. Prior to getting the error message, the host system running the debugger shows:

>>> State change event 3030, proc 3 of 64, str '<empty>'

Kernel Debugger connection established.

Symbol search path is: srv*

Executable search path is:

....at this point there is a long pause. The failure occurs shortly afterwards.

I tried installing symbols on the local network and setting the environment to point to the local symbols but, it appears that the test tries to locate the symbols using the network anyway. My SUT and my test environment are *not* connected to internet and are strictly within the private domain. I thought the symbol search might be a source of the delay.

The screens go by quickly but, I even have a capture showing:

>>> Event statsu 6

> Wait returning 0

....followed by register dumps. Clearly the kernel debugger *is* breaking in. Why the error?

Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:18 PM

All replies

• Additional details....

i've been spending some more time trying to debug this issue.

The error occurs after a long pause after the line "Execuatable search path is:"

Then in red text:

Error: Verify: The test timed out waiting for the kernel debugger to break in. [File: sdktools\debuggers\kdlt\testbin\kdlt.cpp, Function: KernelDebugLogoTest::KernelDebugLogotest1, Line: 250]

After that error message, the screen shows:

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for ntkrnlmp.exe - Windows 8 Kernel Version 9200 MP (64 procs) Free x64

Product: Server, suite: TerminalServer Datacenter SingleUserTS

Built by: 9200.16384.amd64fre.win8_rtm.120725-1247

Machine Name:

Kernel base = 0xfffff803'd1009000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff803'd12d3a60

---- ETC, ETC ----

Clearly, the debugger *is* breaking in right after the timeout error message is displayed. There's more info and register dumps typical of a debug session, then the test reports failure:

(In red)

EndGroup: KernelDebugLogoTest::KernelDebugLogotest1 [Failed]

Non-passing Tests:

KernelDebugLogoTest::KernelDebugLogotest1 [Failed]

Summary: Total=1, Passed=0, Failed=1, Blocked=0, Not Run=0, Skipped=0

I've copied the kdlt test binaries to the host system used as the debugger and configured the SUT for serial debug and I can now run the test locally from the command-line and repeat the results. Doing this I've been able to get a PASS by modifying the "te" command-line options but, not with any consistent repeatability. By removing the "/enableWttLogging" and setting "verbose=0" I've been able to get passing results but again, not consistent results. Maybe 1 in 10 runs.

Launching Windbg and attaching to the target system I notice I always get a long pause after the "Executable search path is:" message but, I have not been successful at reducing that init time.

It seems that the test is timing out just prior to when the break-in actually occurs but, my experiments with the te command-line options to /disableTimeouts or otherwise influence timings have been unsuccessful.

I suspect the long delay can be significantly reduced using one of the other debug connection options (1394, USB, or NET) but, on this specific platform, none of these are currently an option unless I install supported network adapters on the two systems but, if SERIAL is a supported option, I shouldn't have to do that.

Anyone?

** UPDATE **

Back from vacation and I'm back to looking at this issue again. Since reporting this issue, I've run/debugged all of the other required tests on my test platform and I'm down to this specific test as the only one I don't have a resolution for. Anyone else have success using serial debug interface? Anyone from MS have any insight/suggestions? I'd be especially interested in hearing from someone who has details on the test source:

[File: sdktools\debuggers\kdlt\testbin\kdlt.cpp, Function: KernelDebugLogoTest::KernelDebugLogotest1, Line: 250]

Thanks.

• Edited by brookr Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:20 PM
    Friday, October 12, 2012 7:41 PM
  • I am hitting exactly same issue .

What confused me is that my job can pass in workgroup envir while failed on AD envir 

Attachment for your infomation job_passfailed

Best Regards, Mike

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:34 AM
  • After download ntkrnpmp.pdb manully from http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols ,the issue has gone

Best Regards, Mike

• Proposed as answer by Mike_Cao Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:01 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:01 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Do you use a special cable to connect the SUT and Host? what configuration did you do?

Thanks

Friday, January 18, 2013 1:38 AM
  • Hi, Hyasmine

As we talked in another thread . I use both NET protocol and isa_serial protocol ,both works for me now .

I think now you want to use USB protocol to run this job ,right ? This should help (According to Microsoft , USB3.0 is needed for this job)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff556869(v=vs.85).aspx http://www.apriorit.com/our-company/dev-blog/210-win-debug-with-usb

According to the 2nd link ,  you should the NET20DC device produced by Ajays company .or if you still failed on that issue ,Can you try to open a Microsoft business case to request a errata that your hardware does not support it ?

Best Regards, Mike

• Proposed as answer by wangshiwen Friday, January 18, 2013 6:04 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by wangshiwen Friday, January 18, 2013 6:04 AM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 5:38 AM
  • No, I want to use the Serial because NET20DC device is too expensive, what isa_serial model did you use to passed this test and what configuration?

Thanks

Friday, January 18, 2013 6:13 AM
  • What if I use serial com rather than the isa_serial, is it possible?
    Friday, January 18, 2013 6:19 AM
  • yes, the ISA_serial is the serial com you mentioned .

Best Regards, Mike

Friday, January 18, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Sorry to bother you, the symbols download path that you provide is unlink now, I search symbols on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463028  

Could you kindly tell me which symbols is suitable for me to fix this issue on Windows Serevr 2012?

Windows 8 RTM, x64 retail symbols

Windows 8 RTM, x64 checked symbols

Best regards,

Falco

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:15 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I am testing in AD environment, if I install ntkrnpmp.pdb on SUT, still meet the same fail result, could you provide more detail way that you how to fix this issue?

Best regards,

Falco

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:43 AM
  • Hello Falcolee

Can your AD environment reach http://msdl.microsoft.com ? 

According to my test ,when it can reach http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols directory or using proxy ,then the job can 70% pass ,while 100% failed if not .

Best Regards, Mike

Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:27 AM
  • Hi, Falco

I use windbg to download the symbols  (install windbg on windows server 2012 ,then enabled kernel debug mode in w/ bcedit , then use windbg to make local debug ,then the file could be downloaded automately 

Best Regards, Mike

Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:30 AM
  • Hi, Falco

I use windbg to download the symbols  (install windbg on windows server 2012 ,then enabled kernel debug mode in w/ bcedit , then use windbg to make local debug ,then the file could be downloaded automately 

Best Regards, Mike

Hello Mike,

Could I know which computer sure I need to install Windbg with Symbols? (ex: SUT or Host?.)

Another question: Should I need to log out domain to WORKGROUP before this test? Thank you.

Best Regards, Shoumin

• Proposed as answer by hnitek Friday, August 26, 2016 10:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by hnitek Friday, August 26, 2016 10:24 AM
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 7:38 AM
  • 1.the Debug host (not SUT)

2.I use Domain user for the testing 

3.I think this should be Microsoft bug ,From my results remote debug with network protocol will 100% pass on my environments w/o downloading anything and all the network is in private subnet .

Best Regards, Mike

Monday, May 13, 2013 3:06 AM
  • Hi Mike,

sorry for late reply, due to I miss your mail.

Although I through ADSL to connect internet, our AD environment can't reach http://msdl.microsoft.com or http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols, I will try if we can download symbols by windbg, thnaks for your support. 

best regards,

Falco

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:37 AM
  • 1.the Debug host (not SUT)
    2.I use Domain user for the testing 
    3.I think this should be Microsoft bug ,From my results remote debug with network protocol will 100% pass on my environments w/o downloading anything and all the network is in private subnet .

Best Regards, Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your help every time. I already connected serial cable between Host computer and Target host computer. And I was running kernel debug during the test. I checked the ntkrnpmp.pdb file already in my host computer. then I tried to rerun the test again. But I still got a fail result. So do you have any other idea for this problem? thank you.

• Edited by shoumin Friday, May 31, 2013 4:47 AM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 4:43 AM
  • Mike,
    I already fixed this problem by your way. Thanks you very much.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 1:09 PM