[UWP] Migrating customers RRS feed

• Question

• I have existing paid and unpaid Silverlight apps for Windows Phone - I'm recreating the app from scratch as a UWP app. How can I offer the app to existing paid customers for free? Do I somehow mark this new app as an "upgrade" to the old one?

Thanks,

-Tom

Monday, November 23, 2015 6:21 AM

All replies

• Hello Tom,

If you are creating an update for an existing application, then any existing users will receive the update for free. If you would like further clarification, please create a request with us here through your developer account so we may assist you appropriately. Thank you!

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:53 PM
  • I will try the link you sent. I have "updated" my app in the past - but this time I started from scratch with a new UWP project. I would like my existing customers to have the option to get this app (which I intend to be paid) for free. Is it sufficient to make sure the assembly GUID is the same as before and update the versions numbers? And if I have both WP 8.1 version and UWP versions in the store how does that work for the customer? These were the kinds of questions for which I was looking for answers and not finding.

Thanks,
    -Tom

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 7:52 PM
  • That link takes one to a place where you can ask for paid support. I think I'm starting to understand why we're not seeing an influx of UWP applications to the market place.

For the record - I have an existing WP7 application (with local user storage data/settings) that I want to upgrade to support WP8.1 and UWP. I was looking for best practices to follow so that my users would be able to experience a smooth transition to whatever level of OS support they have.

• Should I create a new version of my app for UWP or try to create a combined version that supports WP8.1 and UWP?
    • If I create a new version for UWP how will the user data from old WP7 version migrate?

Once I have figured out these questions - I'll try to post back here for anyone else who wants an answer instead of having to mess with support tickets.

Saturday, December 12, 2015 11:15 PM
  • Hey Tom, I'm a fellow WP7/8 dev upgrading my Silverlight app to UWP, so I've gone through similar things and hopefully can help you.

If you want to update your users to the UWP app, such that your current users will automatically get the UWP once they upgrade their phones to W10M, then do the following two things:

(1) Edit the UWP's Package.appxmanifest XML and make sure you include the phone identity element

<mp:PhoneIdentity PhoneProductId="YOUR-SILVERLIGHT-GUID" PhonePublisherId="YOUR-SILVERLIGHT-PUBLISHER-ID" />

(2) Submit the UWP package in the dev center as an update to your current app. Simply do the same thing as if you're releasing an update to your current app. Upload the UWP app package. You'll see that it is added in addition to your current packages, so that people on WP7 can still use your old app, while people on W10M can use the UWP. There's only one listing in the app store, and the app purchase applies to both versions of the app because it's just "one app".

How will the user data from old WP7 version migrate?

You'll likely have to do some work. Files that you saved via IsolatedStorageFile are kept, and are accessible via the new ApplicationData.Current.LocalFolder API. However, keep in mind that if you used data serialization and you've changed your namespaces, you won't be able to deserialize your serialized data... easy solution would be to specify the namespace in the [DataContract] attribute on the class, using the old namespace from your old app.

IsolatedStorageSettings is more difficult - see this awesome post for handling it: https://www.pedrolamas.com/2014/08/14/upgrading-from-the-isolatedstoragesettings-to-applicationdata-localsettings/

Friday, January 1, 2016 5:58 AM