No Downtime app on Linux VMs. Overcoming Planned Maintenance issue with Azure File Storage RRS feed

• Question

• Is synchronization data folders across Linux VMs with Azure File Storage a good practice? I'm looking for an easy way to overcome Planned Maintenance downtime for my websites.
    Sunday, June 5, 2016 7:44 AM

Answers

• Thank you for reply Nagamalar,

Unfortunately, I found Azure Files Storage unreliable for my use case as sync speed was not fast enough, and SMB folders got disconnected a couple of times during test period. Looks like cluster is still the best way to go.

• Marked as answer by Yury Romanov Saturday, August 20, 2016 4:27 AM
    Saturday, August 20, 2016 4:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Yury,

Please be advised that Applications running in Azure virtual machines or cloud services can mount a File storage share to access file data, just as a desktop application would mount a typical SMB share. Also, any number of Azure virtual machines or roles can mount and access the File storage share simultaneously. So you wouldn't have to sync data between your VMs when you use the same File Share with both your VMs.
    You could refer the following link for details on how to use Azure File Storage with Linux:
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/documentation/articles/storage-how-to-use-files-linux/

Also, to avoid downtime due to Planned or unplanned Maintenance, the best approach would be to create your VMs in an availability set.
    You could refer the following link for details to set up and manage multiple virtual machines to ensure high availability for your Linux application in Azure:
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-linux-manage-availability/

Regards,
    Malar.

Monday, June 6, 2016 4:11 AM
  • Thank you for reply Nagamalar,

Unfortunately, I found Azure Files Storage unreliable for my use case as sync speed was not fast enough, and SMB folders got disconnected a couple of times during test period. Looks like cluster is still the best way to go.

• Marked as answer by Yury Romanov Saturday, August 20, 2016 4:27 AM
    Saturday, August 20, 2016 4:27 AM