none
AzCopy file path length

Question

• Hello, 

I understand that the maximum name or file path character limit is 256. My question is, does that 256 character limit include the blob container name? 

Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here! We are happy to assist you. <o:p></o:p>

Refer here for more information on AzureStorage Naming Rule

Regards,
    Sumanth BM

Thursday, November 17, 2016 7:53 PM
  • Hi

I understand that the maximum name or file path
    character limit is 256.

Unfortunately, I don’t find any article about file path character limit is 256. I tested in my Lab. When the file path character is larger than 256. It works for me.

In my test, the file path could larger than 1000, it also is working.

If you still have questions, welcome to post back here. Thanks.

Regards,

Walter

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 18, 2016 5:09 AM
  • This is not what we're trying to do. I am uploading backup data to blob storage containers and am unable to do so when the file name/path is longer than 2 characters. AZCopy actually crashes. Now, does the character limit include the blob container name? 
    Monday, November 21, 2016 6:17 PM
  • Hi

According to your description, I tested in my lab. I met same error with you. Now, I know the reason for the error.

The error is caused by Windows’s Maximum Path Length Limitation. When you upload your directory to Azure, if your local directory’s path length is too long which more than 260 character you would met this error.

According to my test, the file’s path length which on Azure does not have this limit.

To fix this:

1. You need to reduce the path length before run AzCopy.

2. You could use Azure Storage Explorer.

According to my test, if file’s path length is larger than 260 character, you could upload the directory successfully.

If you still have questions, welcome to post back here. Thanks.

Regards,

Walter

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 6:21 AM