Twofer: databinding and extended splash screen questions

Question

• My primary questions are about binding to a ListView and keeping an extended splash screen showing until I'm finished categorizing data. My high-level summaries for the two problems:
    1. Depending on the screen in my app, I need to limit the number of items bound to the ListView or only render certain groups based on user preference. My lists are already grouped (list.createGrouped), but I need to only display 4 items on the home screen and then all items on the groupDetail screen. The groups displayed on the home screen are user-selected groups, so I also need to filter down which groups are displayed. I've tried List.createFiltered() to no avail.
    2. I have to do a lot of client-side processing on data downloaded from an RSS feed, and I want to do that on an extended splash screen. I have the extended splash showing with a processing spinner, but it only waits until part of the processing is finished. How can I get the splash screen to stay up until all of the processing is complete?

I can go into more depth if necessary. Thanks for any help!

-Dallas

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:51 AM

All replies

• One option might be to display an indeterminate progress bar while you are processing the data.  The app may appear more responsive if you let the splash screen close quickly.  Just a thought...

Dave Paquette @Dave_Paquette www.davepaquette.com

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:37 PM
  • That's what I was doing, actually. The problem was that it wasn't waiting until the data processing was complete. I fixed this by using WinJS.Promise.join() with all of my data processing. I'm still interested in the second question though. The ListView is empty if I do createdGrouped().createFiltered().
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:35 PM