WDS 3.0B2 - Losing list of included locations? RRS feed

• Question

• After installing B2 I went to options and set search to include most of the folders on my C drive.  After doing that search status showed that it was going to index 120K files.  I tried a search and didn't get a match I thought I should have.  I went to options and the included folders list doesn't include the items I'd previously added.  I added them again.  Again, search status said it would index 120K files.  It is a few days and I just opened options again and the list of included folder is empty again!
    Thursday, September 7, 2006 12:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please try to install the latest version from http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=917013 and reply back if you still see this problem.

Thanks,

David Peng (MSFT)

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 1:21 AM
  • Thanks, but I am on Vista and OL 2007 RTM now.  The custom locations are saved.
    Thursday, January 18, 2007 4:40 PM
  • David,

I too am having the same problewm with the Index losing directories that were previously indexed. I only find that this has happened as a result of searching for something I know was previously indexed. When I go look at the selections for what is being indexed, only Outlook is checked, everything else is missing. I'm running XP Pro SP2 and Explorer 6. Desktop Search v3.0 (lastest as of Nov 2006).

Sunday, February 18, 2007 10:15 PM
  • Can you add the location back in the WDS control panel?
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 12:03 AM
  • David,

I installed the version you pointed me to via your reply yesterday. I just noticed my harddrive working hard and found that the Windows Search V3 software was reindexing just the "default" locations and that all my other personally selected locations are gone.

No problems with the system otherwise. I did reboot about 2 hours ago as I usually do every couple of days.  

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 1:50 AM
  • Yes, that is expected when you upgrade from the beta release to the RTW release for the index to be rebuild.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 6:19 PM
  • David,

Let me clarify. The index had already been rebuilt based on my selection of a number of directories I had selected the previous day, in additon to the default areas and Outlook. So this is not a normal event. 

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 10:54 PM
  • Further to my earlier posts, "custom" index lost against this monring. l had to reselect additional locations and rebuild.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:45 AM
  • The index has been lost again overnight following a power off and reboot.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 11:55 PM
  • Is there any errors posted in the event log?
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 12:37 AM
  • Where does one find such a log? I looked in a number of locations and could not find anything.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 6:52 AM
  • Index lost again overnight following a power off and reboot.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:59 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with WDS 3.01 losing it's list of included locations and the indexed entries it created.  I've also tried adding a UNC path, but it doesn't help. 

This is getting unusable.  Any ideas?  I've also checked my System and Application Event logs, but no entries (what exactly am I looking for?).

Tim

Monday, February 26, 2007 8:39 PM
  • "Control Panel" -> "Administrative Tools" -> "Event Viewer"

With the "Application" Section highlighted, look for items called "Windows Search Service" under the "Source" column.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 2:46 AM
  • Index lost again following power off shutdown and reboot.

AND.... this happened while using the just released updated version of WDS that was made available under "Windows Update" on or about 28 Feb.

Any status you can provide as this thread has gone quiet on MS end.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 1:27 AM
  • Index lost again. This is a repeated problem associated with reboot and/or power off.

What is the status please?

Friday, March 9, 2007 1:43 AM
  • Lost mine again today.  Who's chasing this bug in Microsoft?  This is extremely unusable as it stands.

Tim

Friday, March 9, 2007 1:59 AM
  • This can happen if the catalog gets reset due to internal corruption. But if there is no errors in the event log, then most likely that is not occurring. We will be reviewing our SQM logs and see if we can identify where this failure is occurring and see if we can address this issue in future releases.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 8:05 AM
  • I've asked the question previuosly with no reply frm Microsoft.

"Where does the user find on their PC/Laptop the LOGS you reference so they can be reviewed for errors or further information"?

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 10:27 PM
  • The information I've gotten from Microsoft so far tells me that WDS automatically deletes the index data from a network share letter that has been deleted (e.g., if x:\data was indexed and drive x: is disconnected, then the index data is deleted from the store).  I'll let you know how our conversation progresses....

Tim

Thursday, March 15, 2007 4:06 AM