Help needed - Creating a chat in C# RRS feed

• Question

• User-459263027 posted

Hi I am contructing a chat for my website with C# as a language and Sql Server 2008 Express as my backend.

An image of the chat which I have designed is here: [url]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq122/kirbyofthestars64/chat.png[/url]

The chat's design is complete, however I need a bit of help with coding the chat to actually function, this is my first time building a chat from scratch.

I want the chat to be able to do the following things:

-In the largest div box under the word "Messages" that should be where the sent messages by users should appear.

-The text box bellow with the send button next to it should be where users can type a message then send it to display in the message div box.

-The help button in the top right hand corner of the chat should, when clicked by a user, display a help message in the chat. For example:

/t "username" message = send a private message to another user (quotations are necessary for users with spaces in their username).

/r message = send a reply to the last person to send you a private message.

/me text = does an emote (e.g. "/me is cool." = "yourusername is cool.")

-The My Status div that contains the dropdown list should have three selects for statuses: Ready to Brawl, Available, and Away. When Ready to Brawl or Busy are selected a small icon should appear next to the users name (user div box only, not the actual message box) that shows said status.

-The div box under "Users" should display the names and statuses (as mentioned above) of all the users in the chatroom (these users are logged in users on my site that are in the chatroom, so it would have to access existing users that are logged on and in the chat).

-It should have a private message function and /me function as displayed in the "Help button" section.

-Moderators and admins should have the ability to ban (24 hour removal from chat), block (1 hour removal from chat), kick (10 second removal from chat), and unban (removal of any of the previous functions. They should be accessible by sending on of the following messages:

/mode ban "username"

/mode block "username"

/mode kick "username"

/mode unblock "username"

**An error message should display when a regular user attempts to ban**

-Admins should be able to "mute" the chatroom (allows only mods and admins to talk) by typing /mode mute and to unmute /mode unmute

-Admins should be unbannable by anyone (resulting in the user that attempts to receive a 10 second kick).

-Text should appear when a user enters, leaves, is banned from, or is unbanned from the chat:

"Username" has joined the room.

"Username" has left the room.

"Username" has been banned from the chat server by "Username of the moderator/admin who initiated the ban".

"Username" has been unbanned from the chat server by "Username of the moderator/admin who removed the ban".

~Thanks in advance~

Friday, November 12, 2010 10:40 PM

All replies

• User1064071399 posted

I suggest you walk through a few of the various chat application tutorials online to familarize yourself with what would be involved.

With that knowledge you should be able to build your own based on your specs.

Asking for help with coding is too much here.  Once you run into very specific issues, then you can ask <mce:style type="text/css"><!-- .style1 { background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0); } --></mce:style><mce:style type="text/css" mce_bogus="1"><!-- .style1 { background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0); } --></mce:style>

Build a Web Chat Application using ASP.Net 3.5, LINQ and AJAX (in C# 3.5)

ASP.NET Ajax Chat Application

....search for more, but the first one sounds pretty cool

Saturday, November 13, 2010 4:20 AM
  • User-459263027 posted

I've seen many examples before (including those ones), one of them is Linq (which I'm not using) and the other doesn't really have login, most of the examples I find are just simply the chat that has preset users or a login before which usually isn't the right kind.

My site however has a lot of different pages and functions (including forums), so I may try reading some of the code from the non-Linq one you posted, look up another, or ask this awesome programmer that I know if he can help me (since he has a chat with all those functions).

Saturday, November 13, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Saturday, November 13, 2010 10:41 AM