Choosing the Right Microsoft Technologies for our Prototype RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi

We're currently in the very early stages of developing a prototype system. In the near future we hope to use this prototype as a stepping stone towards starting our own company and developing the prototype into multiple products. Looking at our prototype requirements and our future requirements we've decided that the Microsoft platform offers a large number of solutions to meet our needs. While the large number of solutions is what made us choose the Microsoft platform it has also made it difficult to figure out which parts of the platforms are best suited for each of the product we plan to develop.

At the center of our prototype is a touch enabled PC running Windows 7. To this PC other wireless devices will connect, such as a wireless range extender, smartphone or PC/Laptop. The devices that we are going to be selling are the PC and the range extender. The PC, range extender and any other device that connect all form one network. The PC needs to control all devices that are on this network. To a certain extent the PC needs to function like an internet access point at a University: you go to a URL, see a splash screen, logon etc... In addition to controlling devices the PC needs to be able to serve content to those devices. This content will be created using an application running on the PC.

The UI needs to be very flexible. All the settings on the PC will be managed using touch and will need to be automatically downloaded to all range extenders. Different devices connecting to the network will have very different screen sizes and technologies. Consequently the system and the UI need be aware of what type of device is requesting a connection or content and act accordingly.

I know Microsoft offers a multitude of different solutions but I'm having a difficult time deciding on which technologies would work best for our product. I have a few ideas that I've outlined below and I'm hoping that I can generate some discussion.

1. Should all the modules on the PC run as services? So you would have one service that manages network access and another that manages content.
    2. On the PC, a WPF application would consume those services to allow a user to manage network settings and content?
    3. On the PC, an ASP MVC web application would consume the same services to create the appropriate web pages for a particular device type?

Those are just some basic ideas. I want to keep this as extensible as possible. For example I may want to serve Silverlight content to devices in the future. Your feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:52 PM

All replies

• Greetings,

Please consult a free lance software architect.  It will cost you but you get the solution that you are  looking for.

They can surely help you out.

Take care

PL

Helping People To Solve Technical Problems
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 3:33 PM