Metro apps will not go past splash screen.

Question

• Hello all,

I did an upgrade from windows 7 to the dev preview.

I am using an HP Envy 14 with a resolution of 1366 x 768

On the start screen, whenever I click a metro app (besides IE and Control Panel), the app will load the splash screen and sit for 5-15 seconds. Then the app will close and I will go back to the start screen.

This does the same thing when I am outputting to a 1920x1080 monitor and when I lower the res and re raise it back to 1366.

Any help on this?

x64 btw

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:58 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem. Some apps work fine, but most of them don't start, or hang at some point.

Working:

- Internet Explorer

- Connect 5

- Socialite

Not Working:

- Tweet@rama (starts, you can press the login button but nothing happens)

- Weather (The progress circle is looping around and it doesn't do anything)

- News (Says Loading... and doesn't do anything after that. Buttons in the lower menu don't work)

- Tile Puzzle (Only one image is available on the upper part, but clicking on them doesn't do anything)

These are from the x86 build. All of the apps work fine on the x64+dev build (at least for me).

BTW: If these apps are crashing is there a way to get information about them? (Logs, etc?)

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:04 AM
  • My next step is to do a clean install and see if that works out. I have a feeling it is because of what laptop I am using

@Sztupy   which model computer are you using?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:47 AM
  • For me adding a new account did solve the problem for the new account.

EDIT: Changing the account to a Live ID one will make the problem appear.

EDIT2: When changing the account back to a local one, the problem dissapears, and all work fine
    • Edited by Sztupy Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:06 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:58 AM
  • For me adding a new account did solve the problem for the new account.

EDIT: Changing the account to a Live ID one will make the problem appear.

EDIT2: When changing the account back to a local one, the problem dissapears, and all work fine

How do you change it back to a local account?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:27 AM
  • Login with the account, go to the old Control Panel / Manage User Account (it will only appear in the root of the user account manager, so if you click on manage other accounts and chose your account there you have to go back), and there will be a button to change it back to local.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:46 AM
  • One thing to try is to make sure that you are not running as an elevated administrator, and LUA is turned on.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:51 AM
  • I´ve changed my account type to local, still getting the same faulty behaviour.

What else can I try?

Sunday, September 25, 2011 5:30 PM
  • I have same problem

HP Pavilion G6

8GB RAM

64 Bit Win 8 Dev Prev

Tried

* Newer Intel HD video driver

* local account login

No Go

Hopefully this is a bug only

Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:10 AM
  • Another option is to download the source and debug the applications yourself...

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Windows-Developer-Preview-6b53adbb 

The apps in the preview are not identical to the ones preloaded on the Preview PC and some of them have somewhat non-obvious names.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:42 AM
  • Cripe.  In my case, the 32 bit version works fine.  Wanna bet it's some low level thing that wants to see a Core iX processor as opposed to a Pentium that does 64 bit instructions?  Annoying as hell, but at least I can make 'em ohh and ahh in the departure lounge, which is what Microsoft would want in any event...
    Friday, September 30, 2011 12:33 AM