Connection String problems RRS feed

• Question

• User-445758669 posted

I am trying to use the MSDE DB that comes with the Club Starter kit and I guess my connection string is not set correctly.

I am also using Visual Web Developer to make mods on the program and everything is working fine on my local machine.  As you know, with VWD I don't have to use my local IIS.

However, when I move the code to my web site (I'm using GoDaddy) I get the following error :

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

This is my current connection string (which I didn't think I would have to change)

<connectionStrings>

<add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=true;AttachDBFileName=|DataDirectory|Club.mdf;User Instance=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

</connectionStrings>

So I am assuming my connection string is incorrect, does anyone have any idea has to what my connection string should be?

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 7:35 PM

All replies

• User1275632693 posted

I dont use go daddy but I am going to assume that the Data Source for your SQL Server on GoDaddy is not .\SQLExpress.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you as you are going to need GoDaddy Specific help but I think you will need  a DATA Source = SERVER IP.

Does GoDaddy has a FAQ or User Support Area? Sometimes they list these things as they are common questions.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 11:51 PM
  • User1923026465 posted

See this post... http://forums.asp.net/1220730/ShowPost.aspx

It outlines the setup on a GoDaddy account.  In short you need to change your connection string and this post will tell you what you need to change it to...

Good Luck...

Friday, March 24, 2006 10:01 AM