none
Bing Maps AJAX control v7 no longer functional on FF, and changed on Safari and IE? RRS feed

• Question

• It appears that an update was made to the bing maps AJAX control sometime today and it has breaking changes.

The control no longer works on Firefox 5.0.  Test here, using the interactive SDK:

http://www.bingmapsportal.com/isdk/ajaxv7#CreateMap1

Also, the NavBar_top CSS class is no longer being emitted in the map markup as it was earlier this morning and up to today.

Can someone at MSFT advise if these changes will be rolled back and if not, is there a way to reference the original control so that the breaking changes don't impact sites currently using the AJAX control?

Thanks,

Scott

• Changed type scottkmitchell Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:16 PM Bug
    • Edited by scottkmitchell Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:17 PM
    • Moved by Ricky_Brundritt Saturday, March 10, 2012 11:01 AM (From:Bing Maps: Map Control and Web services Development)
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:15 PM

Answers

• There has been request for this future earlier as well. We do have plans to release a preview version of vNext updates prior to full release. However, new feature requests & improvements is pushing this work. Said, that we have been very agile in response/fixes and any breaking issues are considered as live site issue with highest priority. I would also like to take this opportunity to express gratitude to developer community for showing confidence on us & using Bing mapcontrols. The forum has provided unbiased feedbacks with many bugs. We are committed to release best of class controls & our all efforts are solely in this direction.

Thanks again,

MSFT
    Hemant Goyal
    Friday, September 23, 2011 4:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Scott. Yes, we are aware of this issue and actively working on a fix ASAP.

Thanks,

Keith Kinnan

Software Development Lead, Bing Maps

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:52 AM
  • One thing I wanted to mention was that developers should not be relying on internal CSS of the map control.  I see a comment that

" NavBar_top CSS class is no longer being emitted in the map markup as it was earlier this morning and up to today"

Developers should not be relying on the existence of CSS classes in the control.  Internal CSS and DOM elements that are not documented in the SDK as public APIs can and will change during updates. 

The issue we are actively working right now is where the overlays such as nav bar are not rendering properly in Firefox.

Thanks,

Keith

• Edited by Keith Kinnan Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:53 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:52 AM
  • Thanks for the update Keith.  Looking fwd to the fix.

As for referencing the CSS and DOM elements, that's how I first detected something had changed in the control.  I understand you'll need to "break" these from time to time. Is it possible for you to notify us (via this forum, a blog, twitter?) when a new release is deployed so we can know to check our sites?

- Scott

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:49 AM
  • This should be fixed. The fix was rollout last night. Thanks for reporting.

MSFT
    Hemant Goyal
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Hi Hermant,

This is still not completely fixed.  I see that the Interactive SDK at http://www.bingmapsportal.com/isdk/ajaxv7#CreateMap1 is fixed, and uses the following script tag:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://dev.virtualearth.net/mapcontrol/mapcontrol.ashx?v=7.0&s=1"></script>

I can use that tag too, and it works. 

However, if I use the tag as documented on MSDN here, the toolbar still doesn't load.  Here is the script tag from that page:

<script charset="UTF-8" type="text/javascript" src="http://ecn.dev.virtualearth.net/mapcontrol/mapcontrol.ashx?v=7.0"></script>

Note the "ecn" subdomain.

So, a few questions...

1) Which script tag is correct?

2) How can developers get advance notice that major changes such as this one are coming?

3) Is there a way for developers to preview/test against upcoming major changes and reference prior versions if the updates have significant bugs, such as this one did?

Thanks,

Scott

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Hi Scott -

Could you try alerting Microsoft.Maps.Map.getVersion(), you should get 7.0.20110920213706.58. The 'ecn' caches the old handler for 24 hours, so you might be hitting it. Could you try one more time?

-Hemant

MSFT
    Hemant Goyal
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:01 PM
  • Gotcha.  Yes, that is the version I am getting now and all seems to be working well.  You can consider this closed. 

It would be helpful to know how we (developers) can be notified of major changes and preview/test/avoid them to make sure they don't conflict with our apps.  Is that possible?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:34 PM
  • It would be helpful to know how we (developers) can be notified of major changes and preview/test/avoid them to make sure they don't conflict with our apps.  Is that possible?

I second this.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 4:09 AM
  • There has been request for this future earlier as well. We do have plans to release a preview version of vNext updates prior to full release. However, new feature requests & improvements is pushing this work. Said, that we have been very agile in response/fixes and any breaking issues are considered as live site issue with highest priority. I would also like to take this opportunity to express gratitude to developer community for showing confidence on us & using Bing mapcontrols. The forum has provided unbiased feedbacks with many bugs. We are committed to release best of class controls & our all efforts are solely in this direction.

Thanks again,

MSFT
    Hemant Goyal
    Friday, September 23, 2011 4:42 AM