Visual Studio 2008 Addins RRS feed

• Question

• I have trouble loading addins for ClockSharp when loading Visual Studio 2008.

I have been un-install and re-install the software several times but everytime I load VS2008,

I got the following message: ClockSharp not loaded: A command with that name already exists.

When I un-install the software, the registry entry is clear, I also delete the directory under program files.

Load the VS2008, the entry in addin manager is deleted.

Then I re-install the software, check the registry, adn then load the VS2008, I got the same error.

I repeat the same routine, ( uninstall, clear regiestry...etc ) and then reinstall the software in different folder under program files, then load VS2008, I got the same error again.

Pls help.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:12 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I guess the reason for your failing to install is, the uninstall doesn’t remove all the Commands it create which may cause the error when adding the command when installing.

So to remove the command clearly, Please try this link. Carlos has introduced us several ways.

See this http://www.mztools.com/Articles/2006/MZ2006018.aspx

I recommend you try the following method mentioned in that link

o   For any Visual Studio version, you can go to the "Tools", "Customize..." menu, "Commands" tab, "Add-Ins" section, and drag the command(s) of the add-in over some toolbar. Once you have closed the dialog, if you click on the button created from a command on the toolbar, you get an error dialog from Visual Studio because the add-in for that command is no longer available, and offering you the chance of deleting the command.

Thanks

Chao

PS: If this does not work for you, you had better to consult the developer of this add-in, only he knows how did he register the add-in.

• Marked as answer by Chao Kuo Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:45 AM
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:50 PM
  • Chao,

Thanks!  You provide the way for me to be able to go deeper.  Basically, the ClockSharp for some reason did clear registry but the computer has other registry still there and I simply doesn't know where they came from.  So after using Add/Remove program for ClockSharp, I searched globally for the registry to clean them all.  I also use the command to remove the entry from AddIn Manager.

Then I re-install the ClockSharp again, this time, it works.  However, I still don't know the connection point between VS(2008) Addin Manger to the ClockShaprAddinVS9.Connect (registry).  Do you happen to know?  I didn't find the xml file and there is no addin directory under program files.

Anyway, my problem has been taken care of.  No I can use ClockSharp inside VS2008.

Thanks again.

DEVCAT

Friday, June 11, 2010 1:54 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I guess the reason for your failing to install is, the uninstall doesn’t remove all the Commands it create which may cause the error when adding the command when installing.

So to remove the command clearly, Please try this link. Carlos has introduced us several ways.

See this http://www.mztools.com/Articles/2006/MZ2006018.aspx

I recommend you try the following method mentioned in that link

o   For any Visual Studio version, you can go to the "Tools", "Customize..." menu, "Commands" tab, "Add-Ins" section, and drag the command(s) of the add-in over some toolbar. Once you have closed the dialog, if you click on the button created from a command on the toolbar, you get an error dialog from Visual Studio because the add-in for that command is no longer available, and offering you the chance of deleting the command.

Thanks

Chao

PS: If this does not work for you, you had better to consult the developer of this add-in, only he knows how did he register the add-in.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:50 PM
  • Chao,

Thanks!  You provide the way for me to be able to go deeper.  Basically, the ClockSharp for some reason did clear registry but the computer has other registry still there and I simply doesn't know where they came from.  So after using Add/Remove program for ClockSharp, I searched globally for the registry to clean them all.  I also use the command to remove the entry from AddIn Manager.

Then I re-install the ClockSharp again, this time, it works.  However, I still don't know the connection point between VS(2008) Addin Manger to the ClockShaprAddinVS9.Connect (registry).  Do you happen to know?  I didn't find the xml file and there is no addin directory under program files.

Anyway, my problem has been taken care of.  No I can use ClockSharp inside VS2008.

Thanks again.

DEVCAT

Friday, June 11, 2010 1:54 AM