none
"compile error: can’t find project or library" when building PowerPoint from Excel RRS feed

• Question

• I have a VBA macro that reads cell values in Excel and puts the text strings into PowerPoint slides. In order to write and run the code, I had to check the Reference for 'Microsoft PowerPoint 15.0 Object Library'.

When I give the Excel file to someone else to run, they get the 'compile' error so I'm assuming that my checkmark didn't make it to their machine.

So two questions:

1. Is my guess correct or is something else going on?

2. Is there any way to make sure that the box stays ticked?

I've searched and find references to how to set the box but nothing about if it's supposed to stay set when distributing files.

Two steps forward, one step back...

Thanks for any help or pointers (and feel free to just point me to the search I didn't figure out).

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 6:37 PM

All replies

• Hello,

1. Yes, you are on the right avenue.

2. No, there is no way to keep it checked for VBA projects.

In general, VBA is not designed for distributing the code on multiple PCs. You need to develop an add-in instead. That's exactly for what they invented. See Walkthrough: Creating Your First Application-Level Add-in for Excel for more information. Also you may find the Excel Solutions section in MSDN helpful.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 6:41 PM
  • Oh yeah! More work...

Thanks for the pointers to the add-in process; let me see if I want to go down that road.

<addendum> Whole lotta 'Nope'...not interested, ain't worth it.

Dang, you'd think MS would make it possible to easily integrate their components without jumping through hoops.

• Edited by Dogubob Wednesday, February 25, 2015 6:58 PM Nope, not gonna do it...
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015 6:55 PM