SSDT integration with existing Visual Studio 2010 install missing templates RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have installed SSDT via Web PI onto a machine that already had Visual Studio 2010 SP1 installed. The installation was successful without error but Visual Studio seems to be missing the Business Intelligence templates (more specifically the Reporting Services!). Also, opening an existing .rdl file displays the document as XML instead of using graphical layout, nor is it able to open .rptproj project files. The "About" page shows Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools 10.3.20225.0, and I can access "SQL Server Tools" through the options section.

Any ideas on how I could get the Reporting Services functionality working with the existing installation?

Installing SSDT on a box without Visual Studio worked flawlessly!

• Edited by cpirie Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:17 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:17 PM

Answers

• Well after a few more hours of research I finally stumbled upon some blogs that give a more clear explanation of what's going on. Apparently there are TWO versions of SQL Server Data Tools (???) and I installed the wrong one.

For reporting services one wants to install the "SQL Server Data Tools" that comes with SQL Server 2012 (selectable in the installation), not the "SQL Server Data Tools" download provided on the Data Developer Center.

Feel free to browse Jamie Thomson's blog or the comments on Janet Yeildings blog for more information.

• Marked as answer by cpirie Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:56 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:56 PM

All replies

• I am also trying to find a way to open a report project and reports in Visual Studio 2010. I hoped SQL Server Data Tools would do the trick. I installed ssdt easily, but it didn't help with creating report project or opening existing ones.

Isn't SSDT supposed to include project templates for reporting services? If so, any ideas why it doesn't seem to be working for cpirie or myself?

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:31 PM
  • Well after a few more hours of research I finally stumbled upon some blogs that give a more clear explanation of what's going on. Apparently there are TWO versions of SQL Server Data Tools (???) and I installed the wrong one.

For reporting services one wants to install the "SQL Server Data Tools" that comes with SQL Server 2012 (selectable in the installation), not the "SQL Server Data Tools" download provided on the Data Developer Center.

Feel free to browse Jamie Thomson's blog or the comments on Janet Yeildings blog for more information.

• Marked as answer by cpirie Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:56 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:56 PM
  • I am very lucky at the beginning, everything is fine.

My installation order is:

VS 2010

VS2010 SP1

Data Tools from Web downloaded

SQL 2012 Full features

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:40 PM
  • Hi cpire,

Glad you were able to resolve your quesiton.  I'd also point you and others to an item on our FAQ page:

Will the BIDS tools be available as part of SSDT?

In the SQL Server 2012 installer, developers can install the BIDS tools for Visual Studio 2010 by selecting SSDT during installation. The BIDS tools will run on Visual Studio 2010 SP1, as SSDT does. The SQL Server 2012 installer will also install SSDT’s prerequisites and a “stub project” that allows SQL Server 2012 users to acquire the latest SSDT version from the web.

In the web acquision experience, however, the SSDT shell only includes the database projects component. Installing SSDT from the web will not install BIDS tools.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:56 PM