none
Access Navigation Bar counter (record x of y) slow to load in Access 2013/2016 with SQL linked tables RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'll start off by saying I'm not an Access developer / that familiar with Access, I'm a .NET developer but am trying to help out a colleague.

He has been using an adp format Access front end in front of a SQL database using Access 2010 but as adp support was discontinued as of 2013 I'm trying to help out moving over to accdb format by reimporting all the objects / code / switching to SQL linked tables etc so that he can carry on using Access 2013/2016 etc.

That bit has all gone ok, but my colleague advises that the nav bar counter (where the record counter is, e.g. "record 1 of 8" is really slow to load when the back end SQL table contains lots of records, it does eventually come back with a result but for a table with a few thousand records this can take several minutes). He advises that using adp format in Access 2010 this was almost instantaneous.

I just wondered if anyone had found the same thing or had any suggestions? the nav bar looks pretty built in with no options to amend it. I've seen others have built a custom nav bar and "hidden" the built in one. Any suggestions gratefully received !!

Monday, October 9, 2017 10:31 AM

Answers

• Hi CHAM01,

I could reproduce your issue. The counter number remains 1 for long time.

I'm wondering what would this issue effect with you. When I click the arrow to move to last record, the data record moved to last record instantaneous. So I think there is no issue slow loading data. I would suggest you do the test too.

If the data record could move to last record instantaneous for you, I think there is no issue loading the data and I would suggest you go to File->Feedback to submit a feedback for this issue.

If the data record could not move to last record instantaneous, I think there is issue loading the data. I would suggest you refer to this thread for help.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/f61bb697-2e0c-411a-bfcd-ccf9de2e2d85/slow-performance-linking-tables-to-backend-sql-server?forum=accessdev

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Terry Xu - MSFT Wednesday, October 11, 2017 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by CHAM01 Wednesday, October 11, 2017 12:14 PM
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 10:03 AM

All replies

• Hi CHAM01,

I could reproduce your issue. The counter number remains 1 for long time.

I'm wondering what would this issue effect with you. When I click the arrow to move to last record, the data record moved to last record instantaneous. So I think there is no issue slow loading data. I would suggest you do the test too.

If the data record could move to last record instantaneous for you, I think there is no issue loading the data and I would suggest you go to File->Feedback to submit a feedback for this issue.

If the data record could not move to last record instantaneous, I think there is issue loading the data. I would suggest you refer to this thread for help.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/f61bb697-2e0c-411a-bfcd-ccf9de2e2d85/slow-performance-linking-tables-to-backend-sql-server?forum=accessdev

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by CHAM01 Wednesday, October 11, 2017 12:14 PM
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 10:03 AM
  • Hi Terry,

thanks for replying, its good to know its not just me !!

I don't think it's a showstopper, my colleague has said he can live with it, I just wondered if anyone else had seen it and knew of a resolution.  If there isn't one that's fine.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 11:54 AM
  • Hi CHAM01,

You could submit a feedback for this issue and I will do this too.

I would suggest you mark a reply to close this thread. If you have any issue, please feel free to port thread to let us know. Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards,

Terry

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 8:37 AM