none
Multiple Processor group device test doesn't run RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am running HCK 2.1 (8.100.26011) with a Windows 2012 R2 test system. I am attempting to run the "Multiple Processor group device test".

The test never gets beyond the state where it says "The test is in the waiting queue" on the Tests screen and "[Test in progress] (Machine: Waiting to be assigned)" on the Results screen. It does not matter how long I wait; this is as far as it proceeds.

What am I doing wrong? It is able to run other tests just fine. It seems that this is a required test for device certification. Is that correct?

Thanks,
    Nathan

Monday, October 28, 2013 5:46 PM

Answers

• Nathan,

You can open the case with Microsoft support, but on my setups this test is passing every time. if possible, setup one more SUT with same OS and just try to run only Multiple processor test. if it's fails there too, then it can be a MSFT issue.

One more option which we used to do in HCK 2.0 is by setting the group size manually by running this commands

bcdedit /set groupsize 4 and  bcdedit /set groupaware on

In HCK 2.1, they eliminate to do manual settings. now the test itself do the settings and run the test and cleanup the group size

Thanks,

Mudit

• Edited by Mudit Garg Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by DLng Tuesday, November 5, 2013 9:12 PM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:26 AM

All replies

• When you right-click on the test result instance and select the Errors context menu option in HCK Studio, is there an error? 

If you open HCK Manager, open job monitor, then right-click on the test result instance and select the view error option, is there an error as well (may need to grab the complete or the original xml views, whichever has more information)? 

Can you copy the message(s) in those errors (if any)?  These should provide more info on why the test is not scheduling.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 2:47 AM
  • >When you right-click on the test result instance and select the Errors context
    >menu option in HCK Studio, is there an error?

There is no error option. Just "Test Description" and, depending on where
    exactly I click, "Cancel".

By the way, cancelling works just fine, and cancels it very quickly.

>If you open HCK Manager, open job monitor, then right-click on the test result
    >instance and select the view error option, is there an error as well (may need
    >to grab the complete or the original xml views, whichever has more
    >information)?
    >
    >Can you copy the message(s) in those errors (if any)?  These should provide
    >more info on why the test is not scheduling.

There's definitely info in there. It would be nice to just attach it,
    but I guess the forum doesn't allow that. Anyway, here's what there is.
    Note that DTM-2012-R2 is the target test system running Windows 2012 R2.

10/29/2013 11:33:08 AM Scheduler $\DTM-2012-R2 At least one machine is missing one or more required dimensions needed to satisfy job constraints.

Examine details below for more information.

Schedule Details
    Job Id 1864 Job Name $\WDK Tests\MultipGroup\Multiple processor group device test
    Schedule created time 10/28/2013 2:22:42 PM Elapsed time since creation 21 Hours, 10 Minutes, 26 Seconds
    First schedule attempt 10/28/2013 2:22:45 PM Number of attempts 14847
    Last schedule attempt 10/29/2013 11:33:07 AM Elapsed time since last attempt 1 Seconds

Machine Status
    Grouping Machine Count Schedule As Unit
    Default Grouping 1 FALSE
    Machine Status Category Machine Count
    Not heartbeating 0
    Manual state 0
    Debug state 0
    Running state 0
    Available for scheduling 1
    Missing configuration 0

Job Information
    Job Constraints
    Dimension IsExplicit Operator Value
    WDKSubmissionId FALSE Equals Client Prepared
    WHCK\CrashDumpClientSetting FALSE Equals Disable
    WLK\DriverVerifierSettings FALSE Equals 0x209BB boston.sys wdf01000.sys
    WTT\ProcCount FALSE EqualsGreater 4

Missing Dimensions
    The dimensions listed below were requested by a constraint in the job being scheduled and and are either not defined on the machine, or the value reported by the machine configuration does not match the value requested by the job constraint.

If you suspect this is blocking your schedule, you can perform one of the following actions to resolve this issue:
    Reconfigure a machine so that its configuration meets job constraints.
    Add another machine to this machine pool which meets job constraints.
    Edit the job and change/remove the job constraint
    NOTE: This list only includes machines which are available for scheduling, or busy running other jobs, not machines set to debug / manual states, or states that are not available for scheduling. For lab scalability reasons, the number of machines present in the below list will never be more than the Minimum Machines setting of the LMS. 

Machine Name Machine Status Dimension IsExplicit Current Value
    DTM-2012-R2 Available WLK\DriverVerifierSettings FALSE 0x209BB boston.sys msdmfilt.sys wdf01000.sys
    DTM-2012-R2 Available WTT\ProcCount FALSE 2

1 10/29/2013 11:33:07 AM Smart Scheduler  Smart scheduler could not find suitable job(s) to prepare the Resource(s).

Resolution
    Config jobs could not be found to satisfy the constraints of the job. Please check if config jobs are available to dynamically prepare the machines. 

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:41 PM
  • This test requires a system with at least 4 processors to run on -- it's detecting two on your system. 

Friday, November 1, 2013 7:24 PM
  • Gerogek,

Thanks for your responses. That is correct. It has 2 quad-core processors.

I take it that even though these are quad-core, that is insufficient for this test?

Thanks,

Nathan

Friday, November 1, 2013 7:55 PM
  • hi nathan,

Logically, in your system 8 processors are there. So the test should run. Try to run the test individually or make sure that Hyper-V feature is not installed in your system.

Thanks,

Mudit

Monday, November 4, 2013 11:02 AM
  • Mudit,

>Logically, in your system 8 processors are there. So the
    >test should run. Try to run the test individually or make
    >sure that Hyper-V feature is not installed in your system.

I have run it individually. Hyper-V is not enabled.

In addition, I see that it also does not work on
    Windows 2012 or Windows 2008R2 on the same system
    using different hard drives. The errors look the same.

However, both Windows 2012 and Windows 2008R2 had tested
    okay with HCK 2.0 on that same system (different hard drives).

Should I just open a Microsoft support case and handle this
    through that avenue?

Thanks,
    Nathan

Monday, November 4, 2013 4:45 PM
  • Nathan,

You can open the case with Microsoft support, but on my setups this test is passing every time. if possible, setup one more SUT with same OS and just try to run only Multiple processor test. if it's fails there too, then it can be a MSFT issue.

One more option which we used to do in HCK 2.0 is by setting the group size manually by running this commands

bcdedit /set groupsize 4 and  bcdedit /set groupaware on

In HCK 2.1, they eliminate to do manual settings. now the test itself do the settings and run the test and cleanup the group size

Thanks,

Mudit

• Edited by Mudit Garg Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by DLng Tuesday, November 5, 2013 9:12 PM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:26 AM
  • WTT\ProcCount should be returning the number of logical processors.

- What does the NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS environment variable return on the system?

- Was there a previous configuration where the system had only two processors active by any chance?

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 7:12 PM
  • gerogek,

>WTT\ProcCount should be returning the number of logical processors.
    >
    >- What does the NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS environment variable return on the system?

I just checked on the system running Windows 2012 R2, and the value is 2.

I also checked the same system running Windows 8.1 x64, and the value was 8.

>- Was there a previous configuration where the system had only two processors
    >  active by any chance?

No.

I suspect the following may be related. As a prerequisite to run this test, I have run the commands

bcdedit /set groupsize 2
    bcdedit /set groupaware on

Is this no longer the correct way to prepare for that test? In the past, this was required in order to run this test (HCK 2.0 and earlier).

The current test documentation no longer explicitly says to do this, but it does not give a different set of commands that should be run instead.

In fact, Mudit's reply to me from last night seems to indicate I should remove those settings.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 8:41 PM
  • And.... removing the groupsize and groupaware settings worked.

Kind of frustrating, but I've got it now.

By the way, mudit, I initially didn't see the latter part of your message, because I guess you edited it after posting. So the email notification only included the original version of your message.

Thanks,

Nathan

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 9:12 PM
  • Hi Nathan,

Glad to hear that your test is passing now. feeling pleasure to help you. yeah I edited my message later.

Thanks,

Mudit

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 3:59 AM
  • The job need 4 cpus to run

Best Regards, Mike

• Proposed as answer by Rajrup Banerjee Wednesday, January 15, 2014 6:29 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rajrup Banerjee Wednesday, January 15, 2014 6:29 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Mike_Cao Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DLng Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:08 PM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:08 AM