none
Uninstall SSMS 16.5.3 failing. "Insert SQL Server 2016 Shared Management Objects Extensions"

Question

• I'm trying to uninstall SSMS 16.5.3 as it's stopped working in order to re-install it.

It's failing, asking me to Insert the disk with "SQL Server 2016 Shared Management Objects Extensions".  It's looking for a file called `smo_extensions_loc.msi`.

I didn't install SSMS from a CD in the first place, I installed it from the exe off the MSDN subscriber downloads site.

I have the log files, but there's no way to attach them here.

--------------------------

I suspect this is related.  I'm trying to upgrade SQL Server and get this:

TITLE: SQL Server Setup failure.
    ------------------------------

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

The cached MSI file 'C:\WINDOWS\Installer\89d95.msi' is missing.
    Its original file is 'sql_engine_core_shared.msi' and it was installed for product 'SQL Server 2016 Database Engine Shared' from 'G:\x64\setup\sql_engine_core_shared_msi\', version '13.0.1601.5', language 'ENU'.
    To resolve this problem, recover the missing file from the installation media and start setup again.
    For more information about how to resolve this problem, see 'Steps to restore the missing Windows Installer cache files' (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=144387) in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Error code 0x84B20002.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&EvtType=0xD66F84B3%25400xF762992B%25401202%25402

BUTTONS:

OK

• Edited by BanksySan Monday, April 24, 2017 7:19 PM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 7:09 PM

All replies

• Hi BanksySan,

>>The cached MSI file 'C:\WINDOWS\Installer\89d95.msi' is missing.

So it seems your installer cache folder is corrupted, as a result the installation process cannot proceed since the file is need, and you cannot just copy it from some other computer as it’s unique. In this case, I would suggest:
    1. Download SSMS 16.5.3 installation package from here to repair/rebuild your current SSMS installation.
    2. Uninstall SSMS 16.5.3 after it’s has been repaired.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 6:00 AM
  • Thanks, wish I'd seen this earlier, I just did a full reinstall of the OS instead.

Oh well.  It's good to occasionally give it a clean up.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Friday, April 28, 2017 6:02 PM