Crash dump - 'debugging information for system.runtime.windowsruntime.dll' cannot be found or does not match. skipped loading symbols

Question

• I've received 27 instances of a crash, but when I try to open the minidump and debug with mixed mode I get back:

'debugging information for system.runtime.windowsruntime.dll' cannot be found or does not match. skipped loading symbols

If 'windows runtime' does not match, is there a chance these are Windows 10 users?  I don't want to support Windows 10 at this time, is there a way to opt out of offering to them?

-Rob

-Rob

Saturday, November 29, 2014 1:31 PM

All replies

• What is the version of the dll? You can check it by typing
    > lmvm *windowsruntime*

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, December 1, 2014 2:59 PM
  • Ok, the problem 'went away' today.

that's not to say the crash fixed, but it successfully loaded the symbols from the Microsoft symbol server.

I don't know the first thing about debugging this, now, though.

From what I can see I have three threads, only one of htem has a stack trace, the other two are external code.

The one with a stack trace shows:

(top to bottom)

> KERNELBASE.dll!RaiseException() Unknown
      mscoreei.dll!InvokeAppXMain(int *) Unknown
      mscoreei.dll!_CorExeMain() Unknown
      mscoree.dll!_CorExeMain_Exported() Unknown
      kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk() Unknown
      ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart() Unknown

And none of that appears to be in my code, but iti's not clear to me what raised the exception

-Rob

Monday, December 1, 2014 3:11 PM
  • try ~*kb for a full list of threads

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, December 1, 2014 3:15 PM
  • try ~*kb for a full list of threads

Thanks for the pointer but no additional information garnered..

>~*kb

Callstack for Thread 1 (Thread Id: 5864 (0x16e8)):

Index  Function

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*1      KERNELBASE.dll!RaiseException-()

2      mscoreei.dll!InvokeAppXMain(int *)

3      mscoreei.dll!_CorExeMain-()

4      mscoree.dll!_CorExeMain_Exported-()

5      kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk-()

6      ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart-()

Callstack for Thread 2 (Thread Id: 6116 (0x17e4)):

Index  Function

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1      [External Code]

Callstack for Thread 3 (Thread Id: 6112 (0x17e0)):

Index  Function

1      [External Code]

>

-Rob

Monday, December 1, 2014 3:21 PM
  • Wow not much to go on. Can you put the dump on OneDrive and paste a link here? I'll see if there's anything else in it that can be gotten.

Monday, December 1, 2014 5:19 PM
  • https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E13DC9CBA1B5409D!22734&authkey=!ABIP4vznPHVfZaw&ithint=file%2cdmp

I have a working theory... I have a lot of try/catch in my app, on 32-bit platform, some actions may trigger an out of memory error perhaps..  The out of memory error is caught and handled, but if I continue with the app after it is handled, sooner or later the app may just crash.

On my end, I've solved this by only running it in 64-bit mode.

That's my only guess as to what this might be, unless something else is going on.

-Rob

Monday, December 1, 2014 5:40 PM
  • Well, I realize we no longer match the subject of this message, maybe I should create a new thread (?).. But my question:

If I am correct and this is happening once memory is full, is it possible "mscoreei.dll!InvokeAppXMain(int *)" is now trying to allocate memory and doesn't have enough and doesn't handle that well?

Forgive me for not knowing how InvokeAppXMain works, but i'm guessing it's some kind of message loop handler as in old days of windows where it retrieves events and dispatches calls to your app based on what those events were -- i.e. Maybe that function is trying to allocate memory in the process.

If that's the case, is there any way for me to 'handle' an out of memory error cleanly.  I don't really have 'malloc' and 'free' In c#, so I can't just free up memory randomly.  I'm not even 100% sure what is using the memory, though in my experience, sometimes running my poorly implemented print function seems to result in the memory full errors on 32-bit platforms.

-Rob

-Rob

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 12:53 PM