none
Safe Practises while perofrming SQL patching on SQL Cluster and actual outcome

Question

• Hi,

I have one 2 Node Active/Passive SQL 2012 SQL cluster. I had to patch the SQL cluster as per patching cycle.

As per Microsoft's recommendation while applying patches on node the node should be kept in Pause mode. So while patching i kept my Node 2 as pause in Windows fail over cluster manager and took plain boot and started SQL Service pack 3 installer while initial rule check installer shows "Unable to detect cluster service or sql is not clustered" whereas When i resumed the Node 2 from pause and started Installer again the patch went successful.

I found recommendation and actual scenario contradictory, need more info.

Thanks in advance.   

Friday, March 10, 2017 3:07 PM

Answers

• >As per Microsoft's recommendation while applying patches on node the node should be kept in Pause mode.

Is server on Windows 2012 or 2008?

Where exactly did you find this information? Do you have the url?

This is the document I refer to for guideline on performing 'rolling upgrade' like what you are describing and I don't see anything about 'pausing':
    Upgrading AlwaysOn Availability Group Instances

[Please mark answers that help you]

HTH,

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

• Edited by philfactor Friday, March 10, 2017 9:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Akash Pawar Monday, March 20, 2017 8:02 AM
    Friday, March 10, 2017 4:12 PM
  • The pausing of node was during SQL Server 2005 cluster with SQl Server 2012 you do not have to pause anything, atleast I never did this. It is straight froward you have to apply patch on passive node and restart and  then failover to this node. Now go ahead and patch other node which is now passive and previously was active

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

All replies

• >As per Microsoft's recommendation while applying patches on node the node should be kept in Pause mode.

Is server on Windows 2012 or 2008?

Where exactly did you find this information? Do you have the url?

This is the document I refer to for guideline on performing 'rolling upgrade' like what you are describing and I don't see anything about 'pausing':
    Upgrading AlwaysOn Availability Group Instances

[Please mark answers that help you]

HTH,

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

• Edited by philfactor Friday, March 10, 2017 9:57 PM
  • The pausing of node was during SQL Server 2005 cluster with SQl Server 2012 you do not have to pause anything, atleast I never did this. It is straight froward you have to apply patch on passive node and restart and  then failover to this node. Now go ahead and patch other node which is now passive and previously was active

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP