none
Windows Azure database dashboard - Usage data not available RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to see what size my Azure database is as I want to make sure i know when I need to increase it from the smallest (1gb) sized database.

When I view the dashboard though, I get a message saying the data is not available.

http://imgur.com/psF96Kl

Any suggestions?

Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:35 PM

Answers

• Run this query:

SELECT
    	  DB_NAME() AS DBName
         ,CONVERT(bigint,DATABASEPROPERTYEX(DB_Name(), 'MaxSizeInBytes')) AS DBMAXSizeBytes
         ,CONVERT(decimal(19,4),SUM(reserved_page_count)*8.0*1024) AS DBSpaceUsedBytes
         ,CONVERT(decimal(19,4),100*((SUM(reserved_page_count)*8.0*1024)/CONVERT(bigint,DATABASEPROPERTYEX(DB_Name(), 'MaxSizeInBytes')))) AS DBPcntFull
    FROM sys.dm_db_partition_stats

I would recommend setting something up to capture this information for all of your databases on a regular basis.  Store the results in a single table somewhere, and keep track of how your databases are growing.  Treat 90% full as full, and therefore set your thresholds lower than you would for on-premise - this is because databases can "jump" in size when they fail over to a secondary (the size of primary and secondary databases are not necessarily the same, even though the data is the same).  This will help prevent a scenario where your database is almost full, it fails over to a secondary which is larger in size taking it over 100% full, and your application can no longer write to the database.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:01 PM

All replies

• Run this query:

SELECT
    	  DB_NAME() AS DBName
         ,CONVERT(bigint,DATABASEPROPERTYEX(DB_Name(), 'MaxSizeInBytes')) AS DBMAXSizeBytes
         ,CONVERT(decimal(19,4),SUM(reserved_page_count)*8.0*1024) AS DBSpaceUsedBytes
         ,CONVERT(decimal(19,4),100*((SUM(reserved_page_count)*8.0*1024)/CONVERT(bigint,DATABASEPROPERTYEX(DB_Name(), 'MaxSizeInBytes')))) AS DBPcntFull
    FROM sys.dm_db_partition_stats

I would recommend setting something up to capture this information for all of your databases on a regular basis.  Store the results in a single table somewhere, and keep track of how your databases are growing.  Treat 90% full as full, and therefore set your thresholds lower than you would for on-premise - this is because databases can "jump" in size when they fail over to a secondary (the size of primary and secondary databases are not necessarily the same, even though the data is the same).  This will help prevent a scenario where your database is almost full, it fails over to a secondary which is larger in size taking it over 100% full, and your application can no longer write to the database.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:01 PM
  • This is a known issue. We ran into some trouble with the process that collects that information, so it has not yet been enabled. Unfortunately, the portal UI component didn't get turned off.

You can either use the older Silverlight portal, or use the Database Manager, or (as suggested by Mike) write a query to track it.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:54 PM
  • Confirmed happening to me also.

The supplied query showed me I'm only using 19% of my space, so I'm good for a while.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:20 PM
  • As a developer I can appreciate your response. However this issue has been in here from the start, and was even reported in the 'Preview Portal'

We have had to devote a whole service role to management of our services using SQL and the REST API to display very similar data to what we were expecting in the Azure management console.

If MS would like, I'm more than happy to devote 5 mins of my time to fix the dashboard. It's not rocket science but it would greatly appease the community if this was fixed.

Friday, February 22, 2013 12:30 AM
  • Confirming that it's been a problem for us since the beginning as well. Any idea on when it might be fixed?
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:31 PM