none
MSDN developer, Visual Studio 2015 on two computers

Question

• I have two computers I develop on, but not at the same time.

My main desktop computer where I do the majority of my development and my Surface Book Pro which I use while travelling or on the road.

When I log into VS 2015 on my notebook, I get a message that my license has gone stale.  So I log in and validate my license but when I go back to my desktop, I get the same message then.  So I assume that I'm just moving the license from one computer to the next when I do this.  My answer was to just remote into the desktop through VPN/RDP.  However, last week I wasn't able to get stable internet which made things really difficult and time consuming for me so going forward this will not be the answer for me.  I also had a hard time getting VS to update it's license.

Can someone explain what is going on and how I can get around this?

• Edited by SEJ69 Monday, March 06, 2017 3:26 AM
    Monday, March 06, 2017 2:45 AM

All replies

• Hi SEJ69,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>> When I log into VS 2015 on my notebook, I get a message that my license has gone stale. 

Usually, we can unlock VS using an online subscription or a product key. Refer to your description, it looks like the scenario describes in this: How to Unlock Visual Studio

Under “Addressing License Problem States”—Updating stale licenses, please check if you meet the same warning message or not. If so, it looks like normal. This message indicates that while your subscription may still be valid, the license token Visual Studio uses to keep your subscription up to date hasn’t been refreshed and has gone stale due to one of the following reasons:

1. You have not used Visual Studio or have had no internet connection for an extend period      time.
    2. You signed out of Visual Studio.

Before the license token goes stale, Visual Studio will first show a warning message asking you to re-enter your credentials.

In this case, you try to use a product key to unlock Visual Studio to avoid interruption. To find the product key, you can go to MSDN subscriptions and sign in with your account, then click ‘My Product Keys’ to find the corresponding product key.

If I misunderstand your meaning, please correct me and provide the detail information about your issue, thanks for your support.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 5:33 AM