Help, TFS frustratingly Product Backlog Board does not display all user stories. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, we have encountered this issue twice now and are very fustrated by it.

We are using TFS 2012. The Product Backlog board does not display all User Stories that are in the backlog and we can not work out why. Has anyone got any suggestions on why this is occuring?

Additonal Infomration I just created a new User Story and it was not displayed in the Product Backlog board in the To Do column.

• Edited by Dean776 Tuesday, April 14, 2015 3:42 AM Improved grammar
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 3:33 AM

Answers

• There are three things that define which items are shown on the backlog:

• The Team you have selected in the Project/Team picker
    • The Area paths enabled for that team
    • The Iteration that is configured as the Backlog Iteration (and whether all underlying iterations are shown)

Set these items up in the admin panel

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 7:28 AM

All replies

• There are three things that define which items are shown on the backlog:

• The Team you have selected in the Project/Team picker
    • The Area paths enabled for that team
    • The Iteration that is configured as the Backlog Iteration (and whether all underlying iterations are shown)

Set these items up in the admin panel

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 7:28 AM
  • Hi SG,

Thanks for your post.

You’re using TFS 2012 Update 4 server? Your current team project created using which process template? 

Do you mean not all User Stories display in Product Backlog>>stories page or not display in Product Backlog>>board page?

In default Agile process template team project, if one User Story work item’s state be changed from New to other state(Active, Resolved or Closed), this User Story work item will not display in Product Backlog>>stories page, you need to view it in Product Backlog>>board page.

If there’s link relationship between two User Story work items, the parent User Story work item will not show in Product Backlog>>board page.

When you created the new User Story, what’s the State value of this new User Story when you open it in VS? it’s To Do? Please confirm that.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 8:08 AM
  • I am seeing the same problem that all of the items listed in the Product Backlog > Stories list are not represented on the Product Backlog > Board.  There are 178 items in the list that are all in the "new" state and are NOT in the active iteration.  On the Board, only 20 items are shown.  Is it possible that there is a limit that can be changed to allow more than 20 to be displayed?  The same limitation seems to affect the Closed column on the Product Backlog > Board as well.

We are on TFS 2012 Update 4.  The project was created with the MSF Agile template.

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 7:31 PM
  • This by design for the version you are using (VS 2012), as per documentation:

"Q: Can I increase the number of work items that show up in the first or last column on a Kanban board?A: For Visual Studio Online and with TFS 2013.4 update, you can. See Work from the Kanban board. For on-premises TFS deployment prior to TFS 2013.4, you can’t. The first and last columns are preset to display a maximum of 20 items.For all versions, you can set the number of items in each of the intermediate columns, referred to as the work-in-progress number, to whatever you want. This number is for display purposes only. It doesn’t limit the number of items within the column. It only alerts you when the number of items exceeds the number you set."

A request for this feature was made in Uservoice, and apparently has been implemented in VS Online since September 2014. I tested though and was only able to confirm that the Done column can hold more than 20. I was not able to do it with the New column. Also I did not check it with TFS on premises.

Thanks,

Clementino de Mendonça ALM Ranger

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 9:20 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with TFS 2015, but I see 97 items in my backlog view.  One Bug in particular I know is missing from this view, yet it's in the "New" state and has the right area path and Iteration path (there are other stories showing in the backlog that have the same area & iteration path).  In the kanban view I can see this story.  At this point the backlog view is useless to me because I know not everything is showing up there.
    Monday, February 13, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Hi, We are on TFS 2015.2 and Seeing the Same behavior, PBI's are getting disappear automatically from the board, we are using customized process template. 

We're worried that there are items simply dropping that never get worked on. 

Is this any known issue ? or it will  be fixed in future updates ?

Thursday, November 2, 2017 6:51 AM
  • I have got the root cause of this issue. PBI which we could not see on board has the Parent Child Relationship with other PBIs.

Child PBIs are part of the board and they takes the preference over the Parent. If we change the relationship to other we can see the disappeared PBI back on to the Board.

We should not make same work item type with parent child relationship. 

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:24 AM