none
Kinect Object Tracking in C++ RRS feed

• Question

• anyone have any idea how to code the kinect to track not humans but objects? I want the kinect to follow a quadcopter i fly around the room, and to be able to distinguish it from the background instead of human skeletons. Any ideas? thanks in advance
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:34 PM

Answers

• It's a pretty involved problem I'm afraid, so I doubt you'll get enough code here to make it substantially easier.  However, there's some interesting research being done in this area, for instance take a look at Zdenek Kalal's TLD, he provides some source code which might be of use to you.  If you have a read of some of his papers there should also be links to other work in the area.

Good Luck :o) 

Friday, June 17, 2011 10:27 AM

All replies

• You would have to create the tracking algorithms yourself starting from the provided depth stream. The only tracking that the SDK provides on top of the depth and video streams is skeleton tracking of humans. The skeletal algorithms are hardcoded to look for human-like joints such as right hip, left shoulder, spine and right foot, and a non-humanoid helicopter will unfortunately not have those kinds of joints :)

Good luck!
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:59 PM
  • thanks a lot for the response, but I'm very new to C++ and coding in general, so that seems pretty involved for a first project. could anyone perhaps give an example response, or at least more details?
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:22 PM
  • It's a pretty involved problem I'm afraid, so I doubt you'll get enough code here to make it substantially easier.  However, there's some interesting research being done in this area, for instance take a look at Zdenek Kalal's TLD, he provides some source code which might be of use to you.  If you have a read of some of his papers there should also be links to other work in the area.

Good Luck :o) 

Friday, June 17, 2011 10:27 AM
  • thanks so much! his research is exactly what I was looking for....just hope it works with kinect!
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:13 PM