none
Azure AD P2 licenses required for PIM on select users

Question

• Hi

We have a few thousand users that will have a Azure AD P1 license, however we want to protect our let's say 5 global admins with Privileged Identity Management which is only available in Azure AD P2.

On this page the following is stated: "A proper license is required if a user benefits directly or indirectly from any feature covered by that license". Since only the global admins in my tenant will be anabled for PIM and benefit from it in any way, I interpret that statement to mean I only need 5 P2 licenses.

Can I upgrade my Azure AD to P2 and only assign P2 license to my global admins, while the regular users remain using P1 license?

Joachim

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 11:26 AM

All replies

• I don't think there's any problem in getting just 5 AAD P2 licenses, and keeping all the rest P1. You should be able to purchase them directly from the O365 portal.
    Tuesday, May 02, 2017 7:51 PM
  • Yes I know it is technically possible, but is it properly licensed?

The documentation is very vague and that statement I postet was the closest thing I could find describing a mix of P1 and P2 licenses.

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 8:08 PM
  • Hello,

yes you only need the P2 license for the admin which need to elevate the role. You are properly licensed with that 5 lics you mentioned.

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

Thursday, May 04, 2017 6:13 AM