Certificate request on SQL Server 2000 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are using SQL Server 2000 standard edition.  We would like to Server Level Force Encryption to encrypt the data between client and server. I have following the KB 31898.  At one stage of the document, it's need to reqeust certificate.  I am getting the when I try to request certificate thro MMC.

Do we need to have certificate server?  If yes, what is the requirement to have certificate server

Pls guide me how to request certificate and how to ahead further to enable the encryption.

Thanks
    Friday, February 20, 2009 7:33 PM

All replies

• Well, the difference is e.g. pointed out here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-signed_certificate

In summary, if you just want to secure the data and have no fear that the key will be used for man in the middle attacks you could use it for in house communication. But I wouldn´t use such a thing for public communication as public certificates from (root) authorities like Veritas are trusted by default.

if you want to play around with the encryption topic, search on the internet for "Creating the self-signed certificate" +windows and see how that can be done in your case (either using the Windows CA or just II7)

Jens K. Suessmeyer
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 4:50 PM