The server is not operational RRS feed

• Question

• User-365041795 posted

Hi Guys,

I'm really hoping soemone can help me here as this problem is driving me nuts!

We have an ASP.Net V1.1 intranet app running on an SBS2003 server in IIS 6.0 within it's own application pool.  Once or twice a day it just simply stops responding and up until now we believed it was hanging and was just stopping and restarting the app to get it going again.  Today when it stopped we left it and surprise surprise, it started responding again after 45 mins with no interference from anyone.

We have checked the event logs, IIS error logs, ran debug diags and get zip indication of why this is happening.  Has anyone else had experience of this problem?  Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

The error it gives when it stops is below...

Terry.

Server Error in '/FundApplication' Application. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

The server is not operational <o:p></o:p>

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The server is not operational

Source Error: <o:p></o:p>

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. <o:p></o:p>

Stack Trace: <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>
    [COMException (0x8007203a): The server is not operational]<o:p></o:p>
       System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail) +705<o:p></o:p>
       System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind() +10<o:p></o:p>
       System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_AdsObject() +10<o:p></o:p>
       System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher.FindAll(Boolean findMoreThanOne) +199<o:p></o:p>
       System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher.FindAll() +10<o:p></o:p>
       FundApplication.OctoX.ActiveDir.GetUserInfo(String inSAM, String inType) +369<o:p></o:p>
       FundApplication.FundDefault.GetUserInfo() +117<o:p></o:p>
       FundApplication.FundDefault.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +63<o:p></o:p>
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67<o:p></o:p>
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35<o:p></o:p>
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Thursday, April 6, 2006 11:30 AM

All replies

• User989702501 posted
    If you got the debugdiag log file, pls post it to public iis newsgroup, experts there will help you analyze.
    Friday, April 7, 2006 2:51 AM
  • User-365041795 posted

Thanks for the response.

The problem is that although debugdiag is set to record crash and hangs, it doesn't catch the problem so there is no log file to post.

Terry.

Friday, April 7, 2006 3:11 AM
  • User989702501 posted
    Got you. so this is pure application error. I don't have much detail, try post it to dev group :) from the error code it looks like the app is having difficulty connecting to the domain controller.
    Saturday, April 8, 2006 11:20 PM
  • User-365041795 posted

Hi Bernard,

I agree that it looks like an app error, but we have run this app on a different machine and it does not have the issue.  It also works on this machine most of the time!!  It may be that it is not an IIS error at all and might have something to do with AD.  I'll look into posting in one of those groups.

Thanks for your help.

Terry.

Monday, April 10, 2006 1:37 AM
  • User-1929628483 posted
    >>>SBS2003 server in IIS 6.0

Exchange or ISA installed to that machine..they are the root of the problems in IIS in SBS.
    Wednesday, April 12, 2006 4:41 PM
  • User-365041795 posted
    Exchange or ISA installed to that machine..they are the root of the problems in IIS in SBS.
    Hi erdsah88,
    Thanks for the post.  Could you be more specific or point me to where this is documented?
    Terry.
    Thursday, April 13, 2006 1:36 AM
  • User-1929628483 posted
    I had really bad experince when loading applications on to the SBS server.
    it was in our case generally "single point of failiure" where we installed everything.*

my experince in 1,5 years with sbs 2003 is running custom applications on sbs is just risky.

we were also using to run our custom applications on it but every windows update caused all sort of things that we did not wanted...

*everything...

PS: it could be us that is not capable of using SBS but it was getting more complicated every day.
    Thursday, April 13, 2006 2:40 AM
  • User-365041795 posted

That's unfortunate. 

To be honest, other than this problem, we have had nothing but good experiences using it and besides that it's the customers choice! 

Because I still don't yet know what's causing the problem, I can't rule out SBS itself, but we have used the exact same setup on another machine and do not experience the problem at all.  I think? this is more a configuration issue than anything else.

If and when we get to the bottom of it, I'll post the resolution.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 8:46 AM
  • User-1929628483 posted
    >>To be honest, other than this problem, we have had nothing but good experiences using it and besides that it's the customers choice!  Because I still don't yet know what's causing the problem,

after saying this phrase more than three times we switched to seperate servers...   :)

Saturday, April 15, 2006 10:40 AM
  • User989702501 posted

Well, SBS is designed in such a way to host many backend application in the same box. I don't see why SBS would be the cause here.

Terry, if you try google group and search for the COMException error code, you may found few threads where few talked about DC connections and settings. I have no clues what are those..... so you have to see if those matched your setup/symptom.

Monday, April 17, 2006 6:53 AM
  • User1340832402 posted

Hi,

Even I am facing the same problem . Have you found any solution.Plz update once you get the solution.

Can you also provide me the steps for event logs, IIS error logs checking .

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:58 AM
  • User989702501 posted

This thread is two years old and port from asp.net.

You should intiate a new thread with complete setup detail and error msgs.

Event log is error from event viewer - administrative tool...

IIS log - default path %windir%/system32/logfiles/w3svcX - x is site id.

so please start a new thread for your issue.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:49 AM