Release History RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have read this post http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adonet/archive/2011/08/09/ef-releases-amp-versioning-call-for-feedback.aspx

I'm tracking down the history of EF since I will have to use them in my tutorials or my class...

EF 

• 11 August 2008 : EF 1
    • 12 April 2010 : EF 4
    • April 12, 2011 : FE 4.1
    • 30 Jun 2011 -  Microsoft Entity Framework June 2011 CTP "Microsoft Data Services, Entity Framework, and SQL Server Tools for Data Framework June 2011 CTP"
    • July 25, 2011 :  EF 4.1 Update 1   ( release  ‘EF 4.1 Update 2’ (with only one bug fix for provider) later)
    • 22 Aug 2011 :  EF 4.2 Beta 1

Migration

• 27 Jul 2011  Code First Migrations Alpha 1: August 2011 CTP (it depends on EF 4.1 Update 1 )
    • 6 Sep 2011 : Code First Migrations: Alpha 2 (it depends on EF 4.1 Update 1 )
    • 21 Sep 2011 : Code First Migrations: Alpha 3  (Migrations is dependent on EF 4.1 Update 1)

Tool

• 18 May 2011  : EF Power Tools CTP1 Released 

Questions!

1. Does "Microsoft Entity Framework June 2011 CTP" support CodeFirst? Should it be place between EF 4.1 Release and EF 4.1 Update 1 release? 
    2. What is the release date for Update 2 and where can I download it? I know that it's just very minor release with one bug fix.. 
    3. What version of EF come with .NET? 
    4. I saw this diagram on MSDN http://blogs.msdn.com/blogfiles/rahul/WindowsLiveWriter/ADO.NETEntityFramework_47B3/EntityFrameworkArchitecture_thumb.gif .. Does this architecture apply to EF 4.1 Code First as well? I feel like it's kinda wrong since there is no CSDL, SSDL in CodeFirst. 
    5. We used to use T4 POCO template but as we already have Code First, everything related to T4 POCO should not be used anymore, right? Or, Is there any area that T4 POCO is more useful than CodeFirst? 
    6. Can Enum support be used in EF 4.1 Update 1 Or EF 4.2 Beta? 

It would be great if we can have a post with list of  release history with these information "Release Date", "Version Name" (e.g. Update 1), "Actual Versions" (Version of all assemblies),  "Features", ".NET Framework Or separated downloads" 

Michael Sync: blog: http://michaelsync.net
    Friday, October 7, 2011 4:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

1. Your "EF" category should be broken out into two categories: EF Core and CodeFirst. CodeFirst (4.1, 4.2, etc) is build on top of EF Core 4. The June 2011 CTP is a preview of components that we are planning for future versions of EF Core.
    2. Entity Framework 4.2 is still in beta and can be installed via the EntityFramework.Preview NuGet package.
    3. EF Core 1 shpped with .NET 3.5 SP1, EF Core 4 shipped with .NET 4.
    4. Yes. CodeFirst builds up the CSDL, SSDL, etc. based on your classes using a set of conventions (influenced by annotations and the fluent API).
    5. The T4 POCO template is used to generate POCO classes based off of your Database-first or Model-first model (the CSDL, SSDL, etc. contained the .edmx file). You can use CodeFirst to map to an existing database; the EF Power Tools allow you to easily generate the classes that map to an existing database. Simpy put, you're comparing apples to oranges. :)
    6. No. Because Enum support was added to the next version of EF Core and (as previously mentioned) EF 4.1/4.2 is built on top of EF Core 4.

Hopefully that addresses your questions. Let me know if I missed anything.

Brice Lambson

Friday, October 7, 2011 8:08 PM