.mic file format RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In the "Where we can discuss office binary formats specifications?" thread, Tom suggested this forum to ask before the appropriate forums get created, so I apologize if this is not the best place to do so.

There were published couple of binary formats on the Microsoft's Open Specification Promise page and I would like to ask to whom should I address requests to make the .mic format available as well, as the Microsoft Image Composer 1.0 was part of the Microsoft Office 97 suite (version 1.5 with Front Page 98), and the Contat Us link there is broken.

I would really like to be able to import its files into my applications.

Thank you for any hints,

Jan

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:32 AM

Answers

• We do not currently have documentation for the .mic file format, nor is the documentation on the horizon for the immediate future.  If that changes, we’ll let you know.

Steve Smegner
    Application Development Consulting Group

• Marked as answer by Steve Smegner Friday, September 5, 2008 3:03 PM
    Friday, September 5, 2008 3:02 PM
  •  
    We do not currently have documentation for the .mic file format, nor is the documentation on the horizon for the immediate future.  If that changes, we’ll let you know.

Steve Smegner
    • Marked as answer by Steve Smegner Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:45 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:45 PM

All replies

• Hello Jan,

Thank you for your question.  I am researching on your question and will post the answer as soon as possible.

Thank You....

Ron Wattam - MSFT

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 1:15 AM
  • Hi Jan,

• Could you help us understand the specific need you are attempting to address? 
    • Is there a particular interoperability scenario you are working on? 
    • Can you tell us a little more about why you are interested in this format specifically?

Please provide as much detail as you can for the best response.

Thanks...

Ron Wattam - MSFT

Friday, May 9, 2008 6:09 PM
  • Hi Ron,

thank you for your effort.

To be honest... Well I don't want to look funny, but the Microsoft Image Composer is the only graphic editor I am using, even nowadays, for all the stuff I need, from web images to photo editing, to sotware UI design to some primitive DTP tasks. It is not that I could not afford Photoshop or whatever, but I really like the UI, the sprites architecture instead of layers and the algorithms and math model behind, which Mr. Smith came with.

The IC can even run without instalation, has about 10MB, and has pratically no troubles on Windows Vista.

However, IC is reaching its limits. It cannot process large images from today's digital cameras, cannot import some formats from clip organizer correctly, prints at 96dpi only, etc. I fully understand these limits and I understand the software isn't and can't be supported anymore. That's okay.

So now I have all my work in .mic files and I don't know when I won't be able to open it anymore...

By knowing the .mic file format, I could:

- Recover sprites from corrupted files. IC can do this until it finds the first corrupted sprite in the file. If it is the first one, bad luck.

- Improve user experience. I could show file previews in Vista's preview pane. I could search the files by sprite names or properties.

- The most important for me: I could import (eventually export) these files into my software, create image codecs etc. To overcome IC limits I'm going to try to create my own graphics editor (nothing commercial) with the same philosophy and I would really like to make it able to open .mic files natively. Maybe it would also allow me to copy & paste between my application and IC.

I'm trying to obtain some .mic format info for some period of time already, but I have not received any response from Microsoft yet. With publishing the office binary formats, I have a new, little hope. Being a student, I can't pay thousands of dollars for the format, but I would try to do my best if there where any possibility to get it. I don't insist on publishing it officially, in catchy documents, or with support.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Thank you very much,

Jan Kučera

Friday, May 9, 2008 7:24 PM
  • Hello Jan,

I wanted to let you know that we are waiting on the answer to your inquiry.  Thanks again for providing more information related to your interest in the .mic file format.

Ron Wattam -  MSFT

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:31 AM
  • Hello Ron,
    are there any news? Still waiting ;-)

Thanks,
    Jan
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:35 PM
  • We do not currently have documentation for the .mic file format, nor is the documentation on the horizon for the immediate future.  If that changes, we’ll let you know.

Steve Smegner

• Marked as answer by Steve Smegner Friday, September 5, 2008 3:03 PM
    Friday, September 5, 2008 3:02 PM
  • Hi Steve,
    thank you for your information on the progress.

Does it mean that the documentation does not exist at all and would have to be created or is just not available for public?

Thanks again and I will be quietly waiting for any change!
    Jan

Friday, September 5, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Hi,  I still have 100+ mic images that need to be converted.  Is there any program available???  I lost my Front Page 98 a long time ago ............  THANKS
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 12:30 AM
  •  
    We do not currently have documentation for the .mic file format, nor is the documentation on the horizon for the immediate future.  If that changes, we’ll let you know.

Steve Smegner
    • Marked as answer by Steve Smegner Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:45 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:45 PM