Unable to activate Windows tailored application RRS feed

• Question

• If I create a C# project in Windows 8 Visual Studio 11 and try to run it, I get the following error:

Unable to activate Windows tailored application.

What does this mean and how do I fix it?

Thomas H. Lanier
    • Edited by tlanier Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:57 PM
    • Moved by Steven - Support EngineerMicrosoft Support Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:07 AM Moved to Windows Developer Preview: General OS forum (From:Windows Developer Preview: General OS questions )
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:57 PM

Answers

• Is your screen resolution lower than 1024?

In my case this worked: try installing proper Display drivers (windows update) and increase the resolution. Apparently apps won't run in lower resolutions - throwing this weird error.

let me know if this works for you.

• Proposed as answer by Muhammad Arrabi MS Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by tlanier Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:22 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:57 PM

All replies

• Is your screen resolution lower than 1024?

In my case this worked: try installing proper Display drivers (windows update) and increase the resolution. Apparently apps won't run in lower resolutions - throwing this weird error.

let me know if this works for you.

• Proposed as answer by Muhammad Arrabi MS Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by tlanier Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:22 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:57 PM
  • Thanks, that fixed it. I was so excited to get something working that I didn't even pay attention to the screen resolution.

Thomas H. Lanier
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:23 PM
  • I have the same issue, but the resolution change is not helping! :(
    Monday, October 3, 2011 8:15 AM
  • I too have 1280 x 720 ...hav NVidia graphics also.....but none of apps r working plsss help me
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 1:32 PM
  • One other reason that causes this error is problems in xaml in merged dictionaries. Look at any styles & resource xamls under Application.Resources in app.xaml. Open each xaml in VS and make sure there are no errors. If there are errors, we get this very unintuitive error. I wish there was better error, perhaps this is a bug?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/narend
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 11:55 AM
  • I'm seeing this unhelpful error message a lot.  Sometimes it occurs even with a minimal application: I start out with a new C# Metro App project, add a single <TextBlock Text="hello"/> and when I run it with F5, I get the "unable to activate" error.  I was able to get the error to go away temporarily by disconnecting my external display (I'm using a laptop + 1 external monitor) and rebooting.  after the reboot, I can run some C# projects.  But after I try to run my "real" project, the machine gets into a state where I cannot run any C# Metro apps from Visual Studio.  It's very frustrating.

My laptop screen is 1366x768 and my external display is 1920x1080, so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem (besides, I've run apps successfully hundreds of times with the same configuration

This is really annoying -- can anyone help me ?

Monday, January 16, 2012 8:12 PM
  • After hours of experimentation, I finally tracked it down to a single line; it's the one that sets "IsCrossSlideEnabled" in this style which is used as the ItemContainerStyle for a few ListViews.

As soon as I remove this line, I can run the app. As soon as I put back this single line, it no longer runs.

I wish Visual Studio had a better way of reporting this error, rather than the dreaded "unable to activate".

<Style x:Key="ListViewItemContainerStyle1" TargetType="ListViewItem">
            <Setter Property="IsCrossSlideEnabled" Value="False"/>
            <Setter Property="Margin" Value="0"/>
            <Setter Property="Template">
                <Setter.Value>
                    <ControlTemplate>
                        <ContentPresenter/>
                    </ControlTemplate>
                </Setter.Value>
            </Setter>
     </Style>

I was experimenting with IsCrossSlideEnabled because the cross slide behavior (which seems to be enabled by default) doesn't suit my application and I really want it to be disabled.

Monday, January 16, 2012 9:06 PM