Visual Reports: Resource availability shows zero for resources RRS feed

• Question

• I have my project set up with resource assignments for each task, but when i run a visual report (Resource Work Availability) it shows absolutely nothing for resource availability for all resources.  Looking at the pivot table that gets generated, it is showing zero for all.  This is clearly wrong since i do not have everyone committed for every hour they are available for.  Any ideas?  I have been trying to figure it out for a while with no luck.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I do agree that the Project using resource pool cannot be used to generate resource availability report.( By design behavior)

Try the below workaround:

1. Open the Resource Pool file.

2. In Open Resource Pool dialog box select the last option "Open Resource pool read-write and all other share files into a new master project file.". Click Ok.

3. Goto View tab. Click Switch Windows drop down and select the Project1 (The Project name can also be Project2 or Project3)

4. Now double click on the Summary task which shows mpp file icon in the indicator column.

5. In Task information dialog box, goto Advanced tab and uncheck "Link to project" checkbox. If a save dialog box appears click Ok.

6. Repeat the step 5 above for all those summary tasks which shows mpp file icon in indicator column.

7. Now save the project and close the project.

8. Close the Resource pool project wihtout saving.

9. Open the project that you saved in step 7 above.

10. Goto Project tab.Click on Visual reports. Click on Resource Work availability Report and click View.

11. In Excel, Pivot table, add the resources field into the pivot table and expand the time to see detail view.

Note: If any of the shared projects schedules linked to resource pool are updated and  you want the latest availability report you have to perform all the above steps.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

• Proposed as answer by Roopkumar Kamat Friday, August 24, 2012 7:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mekaneer Friday, August 24, 2012 11:15 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:39 PM

All replies

• What is the latest patch on Project Pro 2010?

What is the version Of Excel you are using?

If you goto Resource usage view and add Remaining Availability column in the timephased grid view do you see any hours in Remaining Availability timephased view at Resource level?

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:33 PM
  • Project 2010 Pro 14.0.6106.5005

Excel 2010

When i add the remaining availability to the timephased grid it shows the correct amount of remaining availability for each resource.  For example, if i have committed a resource to 2 hours of work on an particular day, the remaining availability shows as 6 hours. 

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:59 PM
  • I am unable to repro the issue. Is it project specific or even for other projects it shows similar behaviour?

Did you edit the Resoure Work Availability Report template in MS Project 2010?

Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:01 AM
  • I have not edited the Resource Work Availability Report template.  Does it have anything to do with the fact that i am using a shared resource pool?
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:06 PM
  • Ok, so i just created a simple project with a couple tasks and three local resources.  When i run the report, it seems like it is running correctly because it is showing resource availability as something other than zero.  This seems to suggest that resource availability only works on local resources, and doesnt work when the resources are shared from a pool.
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:14 PM
  • Hi,

I do agree that the Project using resource pool cannot be used to generate resource availability report.( By design behavior)

Try the below workaround:

1. Open the Resource Pool file.

2. In Open Resource Pool dialog box select the last option "Open Resource pool read-write and all other share files into a new master project file.". Click Ok.

3. Goto View tab. Click Switch Windows drop down and select the Project1 (The Project name can also be Project2 or Project3)

4. Now double click on the Summary task which shows mpp file icon in the indicator column.

5. In Task information dialog box, goto Advanced tab and uncheck "Link to project" checkbox. If a save dialog box appears click Ok.

6. Repeat the step 5 above for all those summary tasks which shows mpp file icon in indicator column.

7. Now save the project and close the project.

8. Close the Resource pool project wihtout saving.

9. Open the project that you saved in step 7 above.

10. Goto Project tab.Click on Visual reports. Click on Resource Work availability Report and click View.

11. In Excel, Pivot table, add the resources field into the pivot table and expand the time to see detail view.

Note: If any of the shared projects schedules linked to resource pool are updated and  you want the latest availability report you have to perform all the above steps.

• Proposed as answer by Roopkumar Kamat Friday, August 24, 2012 7:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mekaneer Friday, August 24, 2012 11:15 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:39 PM