Docking to side with multi monitor support

Question

• The multi monitor support is great and has been well needed for a long time. One thing in Win 7 though is the snap docking will not work for the side that has the other monitor connected. Is there a keyboard shortcut that you can hold while dragging the window to allow it to snap to that side. Windows arrow is a work around but it would be nice if you can use you mouse the same way as you maximize. 
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:40 AM

Answers

• So, what would you suggest as a mouse command?

My best suggestion would be to auto-snap the window as you drag it to the edge of the screen (say, the last 5% or so), and if the user keeps on moving the mouse, un-snap it and keep moving.

Alternatively, put a preview snap in-place, which will take effect if the user un-clicks the mouse to stop the drag.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:14 AM
  • your right i think the best way would be to show a preview at around 5%  and then snap when the user un-clicks. That way you don't need the keyboard shortcut and the behaviour is similar to the existing snapping. Maybe have a 1/2 sec delay so you don't get the preview moving from one monitor to the other. If you wanted to fine tune it more once the preview shows you could snap the mouse cursor to the edge until the user moves past a small threshold like the 5% before it moves onto the next monitor. That way it emulates their being an edge to the screen.
    • Marked as answer by Nitro52 Monday, September 19, 2011 11:41 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:35 AM

All replies

• I think that it can be done like in Windows 7. You only need to press Winkey + arrow key. If you Window is maximized in the left monitor you can do this with Winkey + right arrow once.
    Vitor Canova Weingaertner
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:26 PM
  • I know that's a work around but i think its counter intuitive if you are used to using your mouse to manage windows. 
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:25 AM
  • So, what would you suggest as a mouse command?

My best suggestion would be to auto-snap the window as you drag it to the edge of the screen (say, the last 5% or so), and if the user keeps on moving the mouse, un-snap it and keep moving.

Alternatively, put a preview snap in-place, which will take effect if the user un-clicks the mouse to stop the drag.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:14 AM
  • your right i think the best way would be to show a preview at around 5%  and then snap when the user un-clicks. That way you don't need the keyboard shortcut and the behaviour is similar to the existing snapping. Maybe have a 1/2 sec delay so you don't get the preview moving from one monitor to the other. If you wanted to fine tune it more once the preview shows you could snap the mouse cursor to the edge until the user moves past a small threshold like the 5% before it moves onto the next monitor. That way it emulates their being an edge to the screen.
    • Marked as answer by Nitro52 Monday, September 19, 2011 11:41 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:35 AM
  • Guys, use GridMove, it is really cool for multiple monitors!
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:32 AM