none
Installed packages versus References

    Question

  • I am using VS2013.

    Using the log4net package as an example, I want to install a later version of it.  In Solution Explorer > References, the Properties of log4net say the current version is it is 1.2.11.0 (2.0.0).

    Using Nuget, I install version [1.2.15.0] 2.0.5 and rebuild the project.  Nuget says that [1.2.15.0] 2.0.5 is installed but Solution Explorer > References > log4net > Properties still says v1.2.11.0.

    Why is this?  Am I doing something wrong?  Which version is being used by my project?

    Incidentally the package.config file has the line:

    <package id="log4net" version="2.0.5" targetFramework="net451" />

    Your help would be much appreciated.

    Thanking you in anticipation.

    Roger


    rogerwithnell

    Monday, April 18, 2016 10:33 PM

Answers

  • Thanks for your help on this, Lake.

    This problem was part of a much bigger issue when installing Google.Apis.Calendar.V3 on a Umbraco v7.4.2 platform.  It seemed that these two required different versions of log4net and other packages.  I failed to resolve this problem after struggling with it for nearly two months and have resolved it by taking a different approach, namely, I built a Web Api to communicate with the Google Calendar and then got the date from it into the Umbraco project.

    Roger


    rogerwithnell

    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 9:09 AM

All replies

  • Hi Roger,

    Thanks for your post.

    I did a test in my side, when I isntalled the log4net via Nuget. The version in the config file and reference property is same.

    So please try to create a new porject, use Nuget install the log4net package again.

    For your case, I think this might be a bug in Visual Studio since the log4net already exist in your reference list. Then you install a new version.

    You could submit this feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback portal: http://connect.microsoft.com, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously. Thanks for your understanding. After you submit the feedback, you can post the link here which will be beneficial for other members with the similar issue. And I will help you to vote it.

    Best Regards,

    Lake Xiao


    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:29 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks for your help on this, Lake.

    This problem was part of a much bigger issue when installing Google.Apis.Calendar.V3 on a Umbraco v7.4.2 platform.  It seemed that these two required different versions of log4net and other packages.  I failed to resolve this problem after struggling with it for nearly two months and have resolved it by taking a different approach, namely, I built a Web Api to communicate with the Google Calendar and then got the date from it into the Umbraco project.

    Roger


    rogerwithnell

    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 9:09 AM
  • Hi Roger,

    >>and have resolved it by taking a different approach, namely, I built a Web Api to communicate with the Google Calendar and then got the date from it into the Umbraco project.

    Thanks for sharing the solution here. I will make your reply as answer.

    Best Regards,

    Lake Xiao


    Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:38 AM
    Moderator