none
Kinect Xbox 360 Sensor on original SDK, should i install February SDK ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have a Kinect Xbox 360 version. I installed the (I think) first SDK (In programs it says "Microsoft Kinect for Windows SDK BETA" , which was sometime last year.

I see there is an SDK From February to do with the Kinect for Windows sensor. I want to ask should I bother installing it, does it provide benefits to the original Kinect for Xbox360 sensor?

Also , if I should install the new SDK, what would be easiest way ?

Sunday, April 1, 2012 6:16 AM

All replies

• You should uninstall all Kinect Beta files and install the 1.0 SDK.
    Sunday, April 1, 2012 8:21 AM
  • Step-By-Step Installation and instructions:

Before installing the Kinect for Windows SDK:
    1. Verify that your Kinect device is not plugged into the computer you are installing to.

2. Verify that Visual Studio is closed during the installation process.

3. If you have other Kinect drivers on your computer such as those provided by PrimeSense, you should consider removing these. They will not run side-by-side with the SDK and the Kinect drivers provided by Microsoft will not interoperate with other Kinect libraries such as OpenNI or libfreenect.

4. It is possible to install and uninstall the SDK on top of other Kinect platforms and switch back and forth by repeatedly uninstalling and reinstalling the SDK. However, this has also been known to cause inconsistencies, as the wrong driver can occasionally be loaded when performing this procedure. If you plan to go back and forth between different Kinect stacks, installing on separate machines is the safest path.

5. To uninstall other drivers, including previous versions of those provided with the SDK, go to Programs and Features in the Control Panel, select the name of the driver you wish to remove, and click Uninstall.

6. Download the appropriate installation msi (x86 or x64) for your computer. If you are uncertain whether your version of Windows is 32-bit or 64-bit, you can right click on the Windows icon on your desktop and go to Properties in order to find out.

Thanks,
    MOHAMED A. SAKR | Software Development Lead Engineer | EgyptNetwork
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Also try to Vote as Helpful

• Proposed as answer by MohamedSakr Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:19 AM
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:19 AM
  • mohamed is right but your question about using xbox kinect in commerical settings on windows is no. From windows kinect sdk v1 and onward you can only use xbox kinect for debugging purposes.  Beta 2 the app has to be educational to use it anyways and no commerical development is possible.

Also, in addition to Mohameds post you need to make sure on development computer kinect sdk runtime is not installed on same machine as kinect sdk v1. These two sometimes have tendency to conflict with each other and will not allow you to use the xbox kienct for debuggging from my experience with it. This is a definite nono I would not do if your dealing with an xbox kinect during debugging.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Proposed as answer by The Thinker Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:31 PM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:31 PM
  • Any updates

Thanks,
    MOHAMED A. SAKR | Software Development Lead Engineer | EgyptNetwork
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Also try to Vote as Helpful

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:14 PM
  • This step in the instructions:

6. Download the appropriate installation msi (x86 or x64) for your computer. If you are uncertain whether your version of Windows is 32-bit or 64-bit, you can right click on the Windows icon on your desktop and go to Properties in order to find out.

is for the Beta 2 SDK. The 1.0 SDK has a single EXE that installs x86 or x64 depending on the machine.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:02 PM
  • You would be better to install kinect sdk v1 for commerical because it still supports xbox kinect in debugging mode allowing you to test out until you go to include kinect runtime in installer which does not support xbox kinect.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:22 PM