none
Visual Studio Community Full-featured, extensible IDE

Question

• Is the Visual Studio Community Full-featured, extensible IDE free to use and will not expire, even if I do not have a MSDN account? I am disabled and on a very limited income and cannot afford the MSDN account, but I did register the Visual Studio Community Full-featured, extensible IDE (I think). How would I know if this is unlimited use or trial period, is there anywhere I can look to find this out?

Years ago Microsoft had the Visual Studios 2005 Express for free, and it never expired. Is this the same featured software, except it is community?

I really want to dabble in programming, perhaps video games for the PC or Cell Phones, but I do not want to come back into the program just to see that it is expired after being incapacitated at or on my hospital visits.Please someone assist me in this area so I can understand if this is registered and if it is trial software.

This is the version I have installed...

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015
    Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.6.01038
    Installed Version: Community

I downloaded the offline installer that was 25(almost 26) Gigabytes in size if this helps.

Friday, November 25, 2016 2:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Saxet Nitsua,

>>Is the Visual Studio Community Full-featured, extensible IDE free to use and will not expire, even if I do not have a MSDN account?

Yes, VS community is free for individual.

>>How would I know if this is unlimited use or trial period, is there anywhere I can look to find this out?

Click the top-right account and update the license, please refer to the following screenshot, then you could use the VS community with no date restrictions.

>>Years ago Microsoft had the Visual Studios 2005 Express for free, and it never expired. Is this the same featured software, except it is community?

Yes, you could download the VS2015 express from the following site:

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-express/

And please refer to the VS2015 express license, The software is licensed, not sold.

https://www.visualstudio.com/license-terms/mt171551/

>>I really want to dabble in programming, perhaps video games for the PC or Cell Phones, but I do not want to come back into the program just to see that it is expired after being incapacitated at or on my hospital visits.

You could use VS2015 community to develop winform, WPF, Mobile application and other application with free.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Saturday, November 26, 2016 4:16 AM