none
using sharepoint as exchange RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a requirement wherein I have an email enabled document library. I will upload documents to this email library by sending a mail.

Now I want that whenver a document is uploaded into this document library, it should trigger an event which will send an email to a number of users, which would be stored in another list on sharepoint. The email will have the uploaded document as attachments.

I know this can be easily done by writing an event handler or a batch job.

But my concern is that is this the correct approach ? Shall I use SharePoint to do something that exchange is better at ? What are the pros and cons of doing this ? What will be the peformance impact if I do this.

Thanks, Tejas

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:32 PM

Answers

• Leveraging Exchange as "document storage" is significantly worse than using SharePoint.   Exchange 2007 and 2010 lost the Single Instance Storage capability, so every copy of a document is kept independently in the edb(s).  With SharePoint you at least have a single repository, given no one copies it out on their own storage.

I think you have a good approach.

As always, if you load a single library up with too many items (5000+), or a single database with too much data, there will eventually be a performance impact.  This will depend on your usage, however.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP - 2012

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:44 PM