Window 7 loopback adapter addresses RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am writing an application that communicates over UDP on the standard loopback interface in windows. The app is making use of the fact that if binding to 0.0.0.0 it will be able to receive the whole 127.0.0.0/8 range.

I am using standard wincock2 functions sendto/recvfrom. And setup the UDP sockets using socket/bind (ioctlsocket(FIONBIO) for on-blocking).

On windows XP it works a treat.

Send To: 127.0.0.73
    Received From: 127.0.0.73

On Windows 7 this is different:

Send To: 127.0.0.73
    Received From: 127.0.0.1

As you can see it always gets 127.0.0.1, which really defeats the object of the exercise.

Can anybody confirm to me whether this is a known change in the loopback address handling, or whether i need to do some addition work to get it working.

Thanks

Rich

• Moved by Yi Feng Li Friday, December 31, 2010 2:43 AM Winsock issue / loopback adapter (From:Visual C++ General)
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Emizon,

This issue is about calling/receiving winsock UDP package via Windows 7 loopback adapter. There is no much help in VC++ forum. I’m moving this thread to Winsock forum to see whether the expert there can provide some helpful information.

For the issue of using/setting Windows 7 loopback adapter, you may visit our Windows IT Pro Networking forum for better assist. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/threads

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Yi Feng Li

Yi Feng Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, December 31, 2010 2:42 AM