none
Excel workbooks not communicating RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am using office 2010. When I open two workbooks in separate instances of excel they refuse to update the links between them - but they do it when the workbooks are open  in sequence in a single excel instance. Can this be avoided? Where I can set it for the links to update even if the workbooks are opened in separate instances of excel?

Dima

Monday, September 17, 2018 3:31 PM

All replies

• You'll have to open the workbooks in the same instance of Excel for them to communicate.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Monday, September 17, 2018 7:17 PM
  • Thank you - but is there a workaround this - I am asking because another soft is opening the excel files - network Automation Automate...and for each file it starts entirely new instance of excel - is this insurmountable?
    Monday, September 17, 2018 7:21 PM
  • No, you'll have to close the workbooks, then reopen them in a single instance of Excel.

Or get the developer to get their software to behave better.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Monday, September 17, 2018 8:48 PM
  • Hi Dave,

If you are using Excel 2003, you can do that.

But in office 2010, what you can do is closing the workbooks, and then reopening in a single instance of Excel.

For more information, please review the following link:

Excel 2013 workbooks in separate instances of Excel communicating via linkage

Hopefully it helps you.

Best Regards,

Yuki

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:37 AM
  • Hi - you mean Excel 2003 ? if yes - does it have the 64 bit version?

or if you are talking about excel 2013 - do you know if it can be significantly slower than excel 2010 in large scale Monte Carlo and other scientific recalculations of very large model files (up to 1 GB each)?

• Edited by Dave Rian Tuesday, September 18, 2018 8:40 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2018 8:40 AM
  • Hi Dave,

>> You mean Excel 2003 ? if yes - does it have the 64 bit version?

Yes, it is about Excel 2003, but it only comes in 32 bit version.

For more information, please review the following link:

How to check whether you have a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Microsoft Excel

Best Regards,

Yuki

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:56 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Thanks for your asking. Did you resolve your issue ? If the post helps you, you can mark it as answer and close the post.

Thank you for understanding. If you have any question, or update, please feel free to let us know.

I wish you a happy life!

Best Regards,

Yuki

Thursday, September 20, 2018 7:30 AM