none
Cannot read USB flash drive RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to make my image to work with USB flash drives, Windows Embedded detected and assigned a drive letter for it, but when I clicked on it, Windows prompted a dialog "Disk is not formatted" "The Disk in drive F is not formatted"

What components need to be added in the image?

Johnny
    Friday, February 19, 2010 5:34 PM

Answers

• Brendan,

I found the probelm, missing FAT component. The USB flash drive is formatted in FAT. The image I am creating is NTFS only, and that's why the OS can detect it, but cannot read FAT format.

I had USB 2.0, USB Mass Storage, USB Boot, Usb..., but forgot to add FAT.

Thank you anyway.

Johnny

• Marked as answer by VER_7 Monday, February 22, 2010 10:22 PM
    Monday, February 22, 2010 10:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Johnny, If you're installing an image to any drive on the USB bus, all you need the USB Boot drivers. From there, everything should work. I don't think this is the problem though. The error you are getting is often caused by a number of issues. Sometimes the drive is/going bad, other times it was ejected before it had a chance to complete its NTFS updates. Either way, it probably has to be formatted. Do do this in Vista and Windows 7, you can just format it using Explorer or diskpart, but also run bootsect.exe which copies the boot sector onto the drive. On Windows XP, run ufdprep.exe which both formats and copies the boot sector. These tools are not interchangable as they don't work on the other's platforms. Brendan
    Friday, February 19, 2010 7:19 PM
  • Brendan,

I found the probelm, missing FAT component. The USB flash drive is formatted in FAT. The image I am creating is NTFS only, and that's why the OS can detect it, but cannot read FAT format.

I had USB 2.0, USB Mass Storage, USB Boot, Usb..., but forgot to add FAT.

Thank you anyway.

Johnny

• Marked as answer by VER_7 Monday, February 22, 2010 10:22 PM
    Monday, February 22, 2010 10:22 PM