none
Cloud Cache buffer location and synchronization RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks!

I'm working in a Citrix environment using UPM but I'm looking to change it to FSLogix. Anyone can explain me where the cache/buffer is located in a case where I have more than one SMB provider? I understood that if one SMB provider gets disconnected, it will change to the next available one and the data will still be the same because of the cache/buffer but what happens if one of the VDA servers gets some error? Do I lose the cache/buffer that is not yet sent to the SMB provider? It's a continuous synchronization or it happens from time to time?

Thank you all. This forum is helping me a lot to understand how FSLogix works.

Regards,
    Fabio

Thursday, October 3, 2019 5:42 PM

All replies

• @FabioVB, the cloud cache system tries to flush local changes to the remote storage VHDs about twice per second. In a case where the remote locations are slow, this can get backed up. But the data on your SMB locations should be up-to-date assuming that they are functioning correctly.
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:30 PM
  • @FabioVB, the cloud cache system tries to flush local changes to the remote storage VHDs about twice per second. In a case where the remote locations are slow, this can get backed up. But the data on your SMB locations should be up-to-date assuming that they are functioning correctly.

LordJeb,

I am currently in a non Cloud Cache setup with a single VHD location on a LAN share.

Will switching likely expose more chances of the VHD file gettting corrupted as the writes are queued rather written to immediately?

Are there any other downsides like slower logins or log offs etc?

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 5:01 PM
  • @Icebun,

I think you really need to test those things. From the corruption standpoint, I think you will be okay - in a direct attached (non-CCD) setup, the OS is caching some of those writes in memory before they get flushed to the disk, so you probably have a similar potential for corruption. I would say make sure you have the most up-to-date version of FSLogix so you have any changes that have been made around that.

As for downsides, performance is definitely effected, but it's very scenario dependent. For example, currently if you have a user logged in and performing a high frequency of writes such as download lots and lots of data, and a second user logging in, the second users login will take significantly longer than it normally would. If this is a normal use scenario, you might experience user dissatisfaction. Or if your scenario is different all your users might just be happy with how it runs.

(Incidentally, the above problem with high frequency simultaneous writes to multiple disks is an issue that will be addressed in an upcoming release of FSLogix. It was just an example to show that you really want to test the software in your own environment under your use scenarios.)

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 4:35 PM