Vitualized Server on Windows 7 machine RRS feed

• Question

• I have been looking all over the internet and I am beginning to suffer from the search overload featured in the Bing commercials.  I have chekced over a hundred pages but am not getting any clear cut anwers to my questions.  An now my head is spinning with all of the partial unclear information I am getting.

We have (or will soon have) a windows 7 machine.  We want to create Virtual Machines on this machine to emulate the servers to which we will need to deploy applications provided to us by our contractors in order to test them before we go through the agonizing processes of delivering a deployment package generating help desk tickets to get the Server managers to deploy the application then run the tests on the application and submitting help desk ticket to promote application to production.   It is ridiculous for us to got through this process only to have the application not work on either the production or test server and get the response from the contractor "Well it worked down here."

So we need a virtualization tool that will allow us to stand up Windows Server 2003 configured as the web server and Windows Server 2003 with SQL Server configured as the database server. 

I read about the new Virtual PC but according the the product page it appears only capable of hosting Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7.  There does not seem to be any provision Windows Server OSs. 

Am i mistaken?  If not is there any provision for running some other virtualization program?  Does Virtual Server sitll exist?  Can Hyper-V run on Windows 7?

I would like to hear from someone with experience in this area.

Thanks in advance.

Edward R. Joell MCSD MCDBA
    Monday, January 23, 2012 8:55 PM

Answers

• BTW Jagadesh

I did NOT report your post as abusive.  It may be presumptive and incorrect but not abusive.  I don't know where that came from.

Extended Support End Date for Windows Server 2003 is 7/14/2015.  (Which is later than our version of SQL Server 2005.)

And for that matter, Virtual PC 2007 mainstream support does not end until 7/10/2012,  and Extended Support does not end until 2017.   That software is still supported by MS.  As I read the article, it is the installation of it on Windows 7 that is not supported. 

I still am not getting any serious suggestions despite the fact that I know that there are several other virtualization solution out there.   Doesn't anyone have any experience in hosting a Windows Server VM on a Windows 7 machine? 

VMware Player' documentation is not very clear.  They have a compatibility checker tool whose use is not very clear.  When looked at one way, it seems to say that Player does not support a guest Windows Server 2003 when installed on Windows 7.  When looked at another way, it seems to say that Player supports Windows Server 2003 as a guest regardless of the host system.  Actually it doesn't matter anyway as both VMWare Player and VMware Workstation need to be installed on a 64 bit processor and our system has a 32 bit processor.

Oracle VirtualBox:  The documentation on this product states that it can be hosted on Windows 7 both 32 bit and 64 bit, it only needs any reasonably powerful processor, and it can guest Windows Servers.  It is also supposed to be able to guest 64 bit OS on 32 bit host if you enabled VT-x/AMD-V properly in the BIOS of your host computer.

Parallels Workstation installs on Windows 7 but does not allow installation of Windows Server guest OS.  Parallels Server can not be installed on Windowss 7.

XENServer is a client server based offering whose server side needs to

be installed on a 64 bit system.

I have not been able to locate any other offerings that can be installed on top of Windows 7 and host Windows Servers.

Does anyone have anything else

BTW I forgot to mention we are looking for either a free or very cheap solution. (Or possibly a system for which the Navy already has an unlimited enterprise license.)

• Edited by joeller Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by joeller Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:26 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 1:57 PM

All replies

• Hello Joell, 

Thanks for your post,you can download and install Virtual PC and create guest VM's required as per your needs. 

Here are the link to know about Virtual PC and its supported Guest OS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Virtual_PC and here you go to download the Virtual PC 2007 http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx .

Cheers

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Jagadeesh Devaraj Monday, January 23, 2012 9:15 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by joeller Monday, January 23, 2012 9:20 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 9:15 PM
  • 1.  You do not propose your reply as answer.  That is my privilege.

2. According to the wikipedia link you provided, (which the government does not accept as fact since the information can be entered and altered by any user,) Windows Virtual PC cannot host any Windows servers as I suspected from the product page referenced above which still leaves me with the need for a Virtualization tool which will host Windows Servers.

3. I thought I read somewhere that you can't install VPC 2007 on Windows 7.  Your statement made me check further.  Turns out Microsoft does not support the installation of Virtual PC 2007 on Windows 7. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2009/08/19/running-virtual-pc-2007-on-windows-7.aspx

It amount to the same thing, however, as the government is not allowed to install unsupported technology on its machines.  So that is not an answer either.

So again I ask we need a virtualization tool that will allow us to stand up Windows Server 2003 configured as the web server and Windows Server 2003 with SQL Server configured as the database server.  Does any one have any ideas?

Monday, January 23, 2012 9:34 PM
  • In case you're in WI/Chicago area check 

Five Days and Counting: Tech On Tap v1.1

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:48 PM
  • 1.  You do not propose your reply as answer.  That is my privilege.

1. Actually marking an answer is what your privledge should be, as the asker. Anyone can propose an answer, which is basically just saying, "Hey, I think this is the answer. Is this the answer? If so, then a Moderator or the Original Asker should confirm that by marking it as the answer."

That's all a proposed answer is. It actually does nothing until it's confirmed. Once it's confirmed, it counts as marks toward Achievement Medals, but still no Recognition Points are involved (in the proposal part).

So if you see proposed answers, and they aren't the answers, then go ahead and dismiss them (unpropose them). That's what they're there for... someone thinks they're the answer and they want you to verify or dismiss. It's also perfectly in the rules to propose your own answer (the feature is enabled to allow it). However, as the Asker/OP, I wouldn't leave proposed answers without either marking them or unproposing them, or else eventually a Moderator might think you've skipped out on reviewing the proposed answers.

The real offense is when someone replies and then a Moderator marks it as an answer without giving you time to read it. I've seen that happen a few times (including with you on a different thread). But even in that case, you just unmark those answers and decide for yourself. Either way, you (the OP) are the client. Whether anyone other than you proposes answers or even marks answers, you are the one who gets to make the final call (obviously). I don't think it's a big deal to have to do that, since you (the OP) are the one deciding anyway. It's like making a selection and throwing cards out (or unmarking in this case) when you disagree.

Although if a Moderator marks an answer without waiting a few days, I'd ask them to wait about a week instead. The week is my personal suggestion because it seems like long enough for the Asker to return (especially since the asker gets pinged with an email everytime someone replies or proposes in that thread).

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, January 27, 2012 7:23 PM
  • "as the government is not allowed to install unsupported technology on its machines"

This might be a bigger problem than you think, since Windows 2003 is no longer under mainstream support, so even if you find a virtualization solution for Windows 7, you will not be able to install Windows 2003.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+Server+2003+&Filter=FilterNO

Bill Chesnut | BizTalk Server MVP | Mexia Consulting | Melbourne Australia
    http://www.biztalkbill.com
    Please indicate "Mark as Answer" if this post has answered the question.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 10:04 PM
  • Re #1...

Became a Wiki: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7074.overview-of-proposing-answers-in-msdn-and-technet-forums.aspx

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Friday, January 27, 2012 10:22 PM
  • Ed did you post this Tech on tap thing or is someone spoofing your login?
    Monday, January 30, 2012 1:39 PM
  • BTW Jagadesh

I did NOT report your post as abusive.  It may be presumptive and incorrect but not abusive.  I don't know where that came from.

Extended Support End Date for Windows Server 2003 is 7/14/2015.  (Which is later than our version of SQL Server 2005.)

And for that matter, Virtual PC 2007 mainstream support does not end until 7/10/2012,  and Extended Support does not end until 2017.   That software is still supported by MS.  As I read the article, it is the installation of it on Windows 7 that is not supported. 

I still am not getting any serious suggestions despite the fact that I know that there are several other virtualization solution out there.   Doesn't anyone have any experience in hosting a Windows Server VM on a Windows 7 machine? 

VMware Player' documentation is not very clear.  They have a compatibility checker tool whose use is not very clear.  When looked at one way, it seems to say that Player does not support a guest Windows Server 2003 when installed on Windows 7.  When looked at another way, it seems to say that Player supports Windows Server 2003 as a guest regardless of the host system.  Actually it doesn't matter anyway as both VMWare Player and VMware Workstation need to be installed on a 64 bit processor and our system has a 32 bit processor.

Oracle VirtualBox:  The documentation on this product states that it can be hosted on Windows 7 both 32 bit and 64 bit, it only needs any reasonably powerful processor, and it can guest Windows Servers.  It is also supposed to be able to guest 64 bit OS on 32 bit host if you enabled VT-x/AMD-V properly in the BIOS of your host computer.

Parallels Workstation installs on Windows 7 but does not allow installation of Windows Server guest OS.  Parallels Server can not be installed on Windowss 7.

XENServer is a client server based offering whose server side needs to

be installed on a 64 bit system.

I have not been able to locate any other offerings that can be installed on top of Windows 7 and host Windows Servers.

Does anyone have anything else

BTW I forgot to mention we are looking for either a free or very cheap solution. (Or possibly a system for which the Navy already has an unlimited enterprise license.)

• Edited by joeller Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by joeller Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:26 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 1:57 PM
  • Ed did you post this Tech on tap thing or is someone spoofing your login?

None of the above. I quoted/replied to Naomi, and she posted that link. It's huge!

Okay, I just reduced the font size of the one I quoted (in the HTML, it had an H1 header).

Is the link bad?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

UPDATE: Okay I removed my previous post. Good point that it's a side topic and not helpful to you getting your answer.

Monday, January 30, 2012 10:26 PM
  • I haven't been there, but here is a follow up - it was a success

Tech on Tap v1.1 – Post-Event High-Fives

My blog
    Monday, January 30, 2012 10:51 PM
  • This advertisement has nothing to do with my thread and I do not appreciate its post.  I am not here for my entertainment or enjoyment.  If you want to advertise some event either go to facebook or start your own thread.  Do not pollute mine.
    • Edited by joeller Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:58 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:56 PM
  • The event was about virtualization, that's why I thought you may be interested in attending as it's the same topic as your thread.

My blog
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:20 PM
  • My thread is about a specific problem in Virtualization not about the topic in general.  If you thought that the answer might been given in that event then you only needed to state "I think this Tech on tap event might resolve your issue if you are in the Chicago area", and then provide a URL.  Instead I get this huge Count Down thing which says nothing about what the event concerns and why I should care.  This is not facebook.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:21 PM
  • That was implied in my answer. Next time I will be more specific.

My blog
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:49 PM
  • I have searched extensively and have not found anything other than I mentioned in my earlier entry except an unsupported work around for installing Virtual server 2005 R2 on Windows 7 (which as stated earlier is not an option on a Navy machine).  No one here has proposed anything else. 

So unless I hear something else, I am inclined to submit my report to the client advsing only Oracle Virtual Box will meet our needs, and to show my response above as the answer. 

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:53 PM
  • Hi Edward,

Official support statements indicate that only Windows 7, Vista and XP can be guest OSs for Windows Virtual PC. If you need CSS support, you probably won't get it.

However, if you need it only for testing, labs, etc. it might work. I haven't tested it though.

HTH,

Tom

MS ISDUA/UAG DA Anywhere Access Team Get yourself some Test Lab Guides! http://blogs.technet.com/b/tomshinder/archive/2010/07/30/test-lab-guides-lead-the-way-to-solution-mastery.aspx
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Edward,

We have several MS folks looking into this. We understand that you just got a bunch of links here (non-sequitur answers) from the community and how that's counter to your goals of answering your question.

More coming.

One bit of feedback I got is asking for your "requirements, support options, and use-case scenarios" in order to determine possible solutions. As Tom mentioned, you might be breaking new ground, which is a worthy pursuit.

If that makes sense (including more requirements, support options, and use-case scenarios), please take a stab at it so we can see if that triggers more ideas. Meantime we'll try to get more specific questions and solutions.

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:22 PM
  • Requirements: 

• Virtualization must be able to be installed on Windows 7 host machine.  This host machine is a Dell Latitude E6410.   (not just any Windows 7 configuration but that utilized on by the Navy Marine Corp Intranet, (NMCI) people on NMCI developer seats.  But one thing at a time.)
    • Virtualization software must be able to provide VM with at least Windows Server 2003 guest Operating System at this time.  Preferably with capability of upgrading to Window Server 2008 when NMCI does so.

Scenarios:

• Guest systems will be utilized to emulate NMCI web servers on which our web apps are deployed and the database servers from which they get their data.
    • Deliverables from contractor developers will be tested in this environment to determine why they work at the contractor site but fail so miserably on the NMCI servers.  Since we will control these "servers" (unlike the actual ones) we will have access logged error reports and such like, that we don't have on the actual servers.

Support options:

• NMCI regulations specifically state that no unsupported software or software usage may be utilized on NMCI machines.  Therefore everything needs to be something for which the manufactorer company would support.  No unsupported workaround and registry edits.  (This is not to say  that support has been purchased, merely that the configuration is something that the company would support.  The assumption being that if they don't support it then it is not wise and/or safe.)

In all of my research the only tool I have found that can meet these terms is the Oracle Virtual Box.  My boss has examined the situation and agrees.

So unless someone has something from out of left field that my days of research have not exposed that is what we are going with.

• Edited by joeller Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:56 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:52 PM
  • From a team member, Tony...

For tips on running Hyper-V on a Laptop see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/185.hyper-v-how-to-run-hyper-v-on-a-laptop.aspx

Another solution is Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Those won't help for your scenario, but they will for slightly different scenarios that others who read this might have. 

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:07 AM
  • Requirements: 

• Virtualization must be able to be installed on Windows 7 host machine.  This host machine is a Dell Latitude E6410.   (not just any Windows 7 configuration but that utilized on by the Navy Marine Corp Intranet, (NMCI) people on NMCI developer seats.  But one thing at a time.)
    • Virtualization software must be able to provide VM with at least Windows Server 2003 guest Operating System at this time.  Preferably with capability of upgrading to Window Server 2008 when NMCI does so.

Scenarios:

• Guest systems will be utilized to emulate NMCI web servers on which our web apps are deployed and the database servers from which they get their data.
    • Deliverables from contractor developers will be tested in this environment to determine why they work at the contractor site but fail so miserably on the NMCI servers.  Since we will control these "servers" (unlike the actual ones) we will have access logged error reports and such like, that we don't have on the actual servers.

Support options:

• NMCI regulations specifically state that no unsupported software or software usage may be utilized on NMCI machines.  Therefore everything needs to be something for which the manufactorer company would support.  No unsupported workaround and registry edits.  (This is not to say  that support has been purchased, merely that the configuration is something that the company would support.  The assumption being that if they don't support it then it is not wise and/or safe.)

In all of my research the only tool I have found that can meet these terms is the Oracle Virtual Box.  My boss has examined the situation and agrees.

So unless someone has something from out of left field that my days of research have not exposed that is what we are going with.

Thanks for writing this up!
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:08 AM
  • Hi Edward,

Ok, if the guidelines state that you can't run unsupported scenarios then Windows Virtual PC won't work for you because you need to test and develop server workloads on them, even if those workloads won't be deployed in a production environment in an unsupported virtualization platform for the workload.

You could run Windows Server 2008 R2 in a dual boot configuration so you could use Hyper-V for dev and test, which is supported, but I don't know if this would cause problems for your developers and testers would find a problem with this - and there are licensing issuess to, since both Win7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 would need to be licensed for those machines.

HTH,

Tom

MS ISDUA/UAG DA Anywhere Access Team Get yourself some Test Lab Guides! http://blogs.technet.com/b/tomshinder/archive/2010/07/30/test-lab-guides-lead-the-way-to-solution-mastery.aspx
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:26 AM
  • Hi Thomas;

Dual boot configuration will not work as the two operating systems would not be operational at the same time, (unless dual boot has changed since I last used it.)  I need to be on one connecting to web apps running on the other connecting to database on the third.

I forgot to mention that another one of our tests is verification that our website works when called from a Windows 7 machine with the NMCI configuration of IE8.

I have already seen differences in behavior of IE8 on Windows 7 than on Windows XP.  I can't use my weight watchers point tracker and SSRS Report Manager needs to have IE be run as administrator.  This could be an issue in an environment where practically no one has administrative rights.

• Edited by joeller Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Ed any luck on getting Jagadeesh's reply unmarked as abusive?  I really don't think it is fair to him.  Although presumptive and incorrect, it was not abusive according to my definition of the word. 
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Ed any luck on getting Jagadeesh's reply unmarked as abusive?  I really don't think it is fair to him.  Although presumptive and incorrect, it was not abusive according to my definition of the word. 

I didn't know I was asked to do that. But it's clear now. =^)

So we need a moderator of this forum to unmark as abusive. Naomi, Thomas, and I are not Moderators here. Just trying to help.

I'm now looking and...

There are no Moderators here. =^)

The Owner is Mike:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/servervirtualization/thread/adf80269-f358-4c6d-a4ed-33e5655265bc

He moved the forums here back in 2008:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads/

So I think at this point, if I contact the Owner or Moderators from the forum that they moved to... the end result will be this entire forum becoming locked (because I think they forgot to lock it). I assume that's not what you want, but I can contact them if you'd like and then we'll see.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Apparently I edited request out of previous entry without realizing it.  (What an idiot I am!!)  I originally requested that on the posting with the list of my research results.  One of my updates must have overwritten it.

I saw the forum to which they wanted all future posting on this topic to be located, and is called "Hyper-V".

Not all questions about server virtualization have to do with Hyper-V.  This thread for instance.  The Navy's front line servers are still running Windows 2003 so they would not be able to use Hyper-V, yet they need to employ virtualization on their machines.  And as noted by the proliferation of replies to this thread, there are still apparently a lot of people following this forum, who appear to care about Server Virtualization beyond Hyper-V.  I don't think they should lock something that is in high demand and replace it with something that does not quite fit the bill.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:46 PM
  • Apparently I edited request out of previous entry without realizing it.  (What an idiot I am!!)  I originally requested that on the posting with the list of my research results.  One of my updates must have overwritten it.

I saw the forum to which they wanted all future posting on this topic to be located, and is called "Hyper-V".

Not all questions about server virtualization have to do with Hyper-V.  This thread for instance.  The Navy's front line servers are still running Windows 2003 so they would not be able to use Hyper-V, yet they need to employ virtualization on their machines.  And as noted by the proliferation of replies to this thread, there are still apparently a lot of people following this forum, who appear to care about Server Virtualization beyond Hyper-V.  I don't think they should lock something that is in high demand and replace it with something that does not quite fit the bill.

Understood, but the Moderators have moved on. I recommend that I don't ping them, but I can if you'd like.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:54 PM
  • So it comes down to insulting poor Jagadeesh or depriving people of a needed forum. 

What a choice.

I am going to have to punt it back to you, because this is a choice I am not able to make.

• Edited by joeller Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:28 PM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:28 PM
  • So it comes down to insulting poor Jagadeesh or depriving people of a needed forum. 

What a choice.

I am going to have to punt it back to you, because this is a choice I am not able to make.

My recommendation is that I don't ping the Moderators, as that might lead to this forum (which is supposed to be closed) becoming closed.

Thanks!

Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:16 PM
  •  

I read about the new Virtual PC but according the the product page it appears only capable of hosting Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7.  There does not seem to be any provision Windows Server OSs. 

I would like to hear from someone with experience in this area.

Thanks in advance.

Edward,

Just FYI...

I use Windows Virtual PC on my  laptop which has Windows 7 Professional 64bit. Windows Virtual PC does support Server Operating Systems  However, you can only install 32 bit versions, 64 bit OS's are not supported !

Vote As Helpful, if you find my information useful ! This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
    Monday, February 6, 2012 5:28 PM