How to delete a VHD?

Question

• I am using Windows 7, on my drive C. In the past I create a Virtual Hard Drive, about 100 GB, in the root of my Windows 7 partition.

The question is that how can I find out if this VHD, still exit, and how to delete it?

Can I delete it when I am reinstalling windows from scratch? 

Friday, November 04, 2011 5:28 PM

Answers

• One way is search for it in all folders and if it appears then delete it and another way is right click on computer and go to manage and then storage management and you will list of your physical and virtual driver taht you could format and delete them if you want to.
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 9:34 AM
  • Just delete the .vhd file, if you're not sure where it is, search for *.vhd. You can delete it anytime, no need to reinstall.
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 6:58 AM
  • hi there,

Virtual Hard Disk are just plain files to the system they were created on.

If you have it attached (mounted) and see the drive in explorer, you can easily delete it from your disk manager by unmonting it (Right click it) it will offer to delete it, it is just a check box to tick.

If you haven't got it in use, then you can delete the .vhd file as you would do with any other file on your system, it is seen as a plain file, with no attachement to the system whatsoever.

so in both case, as stated in the previous posts, you can go ahead and erase it.

best regards,

PierrE.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 10:14 AM

All replies

• Just delete the .vhd file, if you're not sure where it is, search for *.vhd. You can delete it anytime, no need to reinstall.
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 6:58 AM
  • One way is search for it in all folders and if it appears then delete it and another way is right click on computer and go to manage and then storage management and you will list of your physical and virtual driver taht you could format and delete them if you want to.
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 9:34 AM
  • hi there,

Virtual Hard Disk are just plain files to the system they were created on.

If you have it attached (mounted) and see the drive in explorer, you can easily delete it from your disk manager by unmonting it (Right click it) it will offer to delete it, it is just a check box to tick.

If you haven't got it in use, then you can delete the .vhd file as you would do with any other file on your system, it is seen as a plain file, with no attachement to the system whatsoever.

so in both case, as stated in the previous posts, you can go ahead and erase it.

best regards,

PierrE.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 10:14 AM
  • If you have any further Windows 7 questions, you should post in the Microsoft Answers forum.
    http://answers.microsoft.com

However, most virtualization issues are posted in the TechNet forum.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/threads

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Sunday, November 06, 2011 6:01 PM