none
downloading to my cepc RRS feed

• Question

• I apologize in advance for what will turn out to be a trivial question, but I just got my null modem cable.  (Previously I had just been copying nk.bin to a hard drive and booting the hard drive.)

I've been reading the MSFT documentation but when it links me to older versions where the menu items aren't the same, I get mixed up.  I am hoping someone will just step me through this.

1. I have the CEPC sitting right next to the development PC.

2. An ethernet cable runs from the CEPC's network card to the development PC's network card.  Of course, the development PC has 2 network cards.  How to I tell VS2005 which one to use?

3. The null modem cable runs between the CEPC and the development PC.  I have 2 ports on the CEPC and only 1 on the dev. PC.  Again, how do I know which one on the CEPC to use?

4. If I put in the boot disk and boot "ether via eboot.bin with /L:1024x768x8" I can see that the CEPC sends out traffic over the ethernet cable.  The packets are 590 bytes and I assume these are the BOOTME packets.

5. What am I supposed to use for VS2005 Target --> Connectivity Options?  I have:

Target Device: CE Device

Download: Serial (COM1, 115200, 8 None, Hardware, 1)

Transport: Ethernet (IP address 0.0.0.0 - how am I supposed to know the IP address in advance - the CEPC doesn't even have an OS or anything to give it one???)

Debugger: KdStub

Now I have tried using Ethernet as the Download type and Serial as the Transport type.  Neither way is successful for me.  Target --> Attach Device gives

(CoreCon) Failed to connect the download service
    (CoreCon) Download service failed to connect
    (CoreCon) Error: A service has failed to connect. Make sure that all services are correctly configured, and that the targeted device is not already in use.

If someone could just step me through this that'd be great.  I just can't read anymore without further confusing myself on what should be connected to what, etc.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:21 PM

Answers

• the CEPC loading assumes by default a DHCP server: set a static IP in the autoexec.bat on the CEPC and set a suitable static IP on the connected network adapter on your PC; I have three NIC's on my PC and I have no problem in using them: I suppose the corecon service listen on all the PC NIC for the device BOOTME and chooses the right one

the serial port used is the 'standard' COM1, i.e. 0x3F8, IRQ4: check the BIOS settings and the connector documentation

Most of all: select 'ethernet' for both download and transport: since you have an ethernet connection you download faster

--
    Luca Calligaris (MVP-Windows Embedded)
    lucaDOTcalligarisATeurotechDOTcom
    www.eurotech.com

"mr_jeff" <=?utf-8?B?bXJfamVmZg==?=> ha scritto nel messaggio news:c7739a56-dbc6-4eb7-a559-5ccab80b2c2b...

I apologize in advance for what will turn out to be a trivial question, but I just got my null modem cable.  (Previously I had just been copying nk.bin to a hard drive and booting the hard drive.)

I've been reading the MSFT documentation but when it links me to older versions where the menu items aren't the same, I get mixed up.  I am hoping someone will just step me through this.

1. I have the CEPC sitting right next to the development PC.

2. An ethernet cable runs from the CEPC's network card to the development PC's network card.  Of course, the development PC has 2 network cards.  How to I tell VS2005 which one to use?

3. The null modem cable runs between the CEPC and the development PC.  I have 2 ports on the CEPC and only 1 on the dev. PC.  Again, how do I know which one on the CEPC to use?

4. If I put in the boot disk and boot "ether via eboot.bin with /L:1024x768x8" I can see that the CEPC sends out traffic over the ethernet cable.  The packets are 590 bytes and I assume these are the BOOTME packets.

5. What am I supposed to use for VS2005 Target --> Connectivity Options?  I have:

Target Device: CE Device

Download: Serial (COM1, 115200, 8 None, Hardware, 1)

Transport: Ethernet (IP address 0.0.0.0 - how am I supposed to know the IP address in advance - the CEPC doesn't even have an OS or anything to give it one???)

Debugger: KdStub

Now I have tried using Ethernet as the Download type and Serial as the Transport type.  Neither way is successful for me.  Target --> Attach Device gives

(CoreCon) Failed to connect the download service
    (CoreCon) Download service failed to connect
    (CoreCon) Error: A service has failed to connect. Make sure that all services are correctly configured, and that the targeted device is not already in use.

If someone could just step me through this that'd be great.  I just can't read anymore without further confusing myself on what should be connected to what, etc.

Luca Calligaris (MVP-Windows Embedded) lucaDOTcalligarisATeurotechDOTcom www.eurotech.com
    • Marked as answer by mr_jeff Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:04 PM
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:21 AM