locked
Sharepoint 2010 User Profile Synchronization Stuck On "Synchronizing" RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have configured my User Profile Synchronization. I have configured the synchronization connections, and started the synchronization service. My issue is when I "Start Profile Synchronization", the Profile Synchronization Status is stuck on "Synchronizing". There is no job listed in running jobs, and the job keeps running (I let it run for a daya and a half before I killed it). Nothing in logs or Event Viewer (That I could find). Any suggestions as to why this job never succeds or fails?
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:08 PM

Answers

  • You also need to restart the Forefront services and make sure they are using domain accounts instead of local system accounts.
    vr,
    SharePointNinja

    • Marked as answer by MasonPrewett Monday, October 18, 2010 5:00 PM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 6:25 PM

All replies

  • Have you started the User Profile Syncronisation Service? Also try openning the MIISClient from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Synchronization Service\UIShell\miisclient.exe and see if there are any errors in there. Cheers Josh
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:18 PM
  • Josh, Thanks for the response. I actually had the Sync service started, it was originally stuck on "Starting". I stopped it and restarted it, but it is back stuck on starting again. So that may explain why the actualy sync would never complete, it was never truly started even though it said so. I have seen some things on the web about this issue already but none seemed to help. Any suggestions?
    Friday, October 15, 2010 6:06 PM
  • You also need to restart the Forefront services and make sure they are using domain accounts instead of local system accounts.
    vr,
    SharePointNinja

    • Marked as answer by MasonPrewett Monday, October 18, 2010 5:00 PM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 6:25 PM
  • The Forefront services were not started, I set them to automatic and started them. The other issue was the user I was using for the sync job did not have the proper rights to perform the operation. This is really confusing because the behavior of SharePoint in this case is to just leave the sync job running, forever, and it is difficult to stop. No failure of the job and no error messages. Thanks for the tips guys!
    • Proposed as answer by yvonnew Wednesday, August 24, 2011 1:10 PM
    Monday, October 18, 2010 5:01 PM
  • This can be really tricky to get to work as there are so many different things that you must get right. However it does work. Spence Harber at harber.net has done a really good post on this and I would recommend it.

    Things to note when you are going to start the sync for the first time. Do this logged on as the farm account not the admin or setup account. Make usre that the accounts have the correct permission in AD. Make sure that the user profile synchronisation service has started. If this does get stuck on "starting" then the only way to stop it is using power shell command.  Once you are at the stage when you see synchronising you can check what is happening by looking at FIM. Though when FIM shows import success this does not mean SharePoint has finished it can take a long time to complete... you will have time to bake a cake !

    If there is a problem then take a step back and ensure that you have permissions in all the places that SharePoint expects. Not fogetting local Admin group etc.

     

    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 1:16 PM