none
Sharepoint 2013 site with Designer 2010 Workflow

Question

• Hello, I am the owner of a SharePoint 2013 site that I am using at my job to automate a process for getting approval on pricing exceptions on products for clients.  I used SharePoint designer 2013 to build a complex approval workflow (however my firm only supports SharePoint 2010 workflow).

i built a workflow that works very well to automate a complexity business process.  In summary an internal user will create a rate exception request.  Based on the request type, region (ex. East, west, central) And rate requested, the workflow will route the approvals to different sequential approval groups.  The workflow is set to initiate on item creation or change.

This works great on creating an item, but I have concerns with the integrity after creating the item.

Lets say I create a request for my west region at 20 %.  This will correctly trigger the workflow to the correct approvers in sequence.  However let's say I made a mistake in my request and I really need 22%.  That rate would go to different approvers.  The workflow from my request for 20% has already kicked off tasks.  If I edit my request to 22%, the list will update but the workflow on the original request doesn't not stop and the tasks don't update.  Hence my list item and tasks are out of sync.  This would cause an issue as the requestor thinks they now have a request out there for 22% but really thee only tasks out there for approval are for the original 20%.  In this example the edit can be anything such as the region as well which is a different set of approvers.

Is there a way to say if there is an edit to an item with an existing workflow that is pending, to restart the workflow/tasks?  I don't want an infinite loop, simply want to be able to edit my request and cancel the original workflow on the item and redistribute the tasks.

i greatly appreciate any insight.

Sunday, January 01, 2017 3:17 PM

All replies

• Hello,

There is no way in same workflow.Apart from workflow, you can write an event receiver on Item Update and apply whatever check you want. By using c# you can end the existing running workflow for particular item and start again. This I tried before and it is working fine for me. 

Also, you can try CSR for same cancelling and restart the workflow. I have not tried this method but conceptually it should work.

Thanks, Kuldeep Verma

Monday, January 02, 2017 6:35 AM
  • Hi J-Dubb,

We could cancel the workflow tasks or terminate the workflow for the specific item.

Navigate to the Workflow Status page, click on “Cancel all tasks” or “End this workflow”.

After that, re-start the workflow for the item.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by LogicGuru Wednesday, January 11, 2017 11:28 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by LogicGuru Wednesday, January 11, 2017 11:28 AM
    Monday, January 02, 2017 6:50 AM
  • Thanks Linda. I assume based on your response there is no way to automate this through designer? The key is we are looking to automate a process. I assume with what you are proposing I would need to know that the requestor needs to make the edit.
    Monday, January 02, 2017 6:36 PM
  • No, there's no way to automate that using Designer.

cameron rautmann

Wednesday, January 04, 2017 3:43 PM