Retrieving display adapter information

Question

• I tried to use the Device Enumeration Sample to retrieve info about installed display adapter using GUID {4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} on 2 machines but in both cases the DeviceInformation::FindAllAsync method returned empty DeviceInformationCollection object. I checked device manager on both machines and verified that display adapter with such GUID does exist.

What GUID should I use to enumerate display adapters or is there other method to get info about them.

Monday, August 13, 2012 6:31 AM

Answers

• Thank you for the link. It turned out that I have used device Setup class GUID, not the Interface one, retrieved from Device manager -> Display adapters -> Properties -> Device class GUID. However, FindAllAsync() function don`t show any of installed display adapters, so I guess that the only way to retrieve information about installed display adapters is to use IDXGIFactory::EnumAdapters method.

Are there any other methods to get info like installed graphics card name except IDXGIFactory::EnumAdapters?

• Marked as answer by RenGate Saturday, August 25, 2012 6:27 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:35 AM

All replies

• Where are you getting that GUID from? If you call FindAllAsync() do you see the devices you are looking for?

Also take a look at this previous thread for some background on Interface Class GUIDs.

--Rob

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:14 AM
    Owner
  • Thank you for the link. It turned out that I have used device Setup class GUID, not the Interface one, retrieved from Device manager -> Display adapters -> Properties -> Device class GUID. However, FindAllAsync() function don`t show any of installed display adapters, so I guess that the only way to retrieve information about installed display adapters is to use IDXGIFactory::EnumAdapters method.

Are there any other methods to get info like installed graphics card name except IDXGIFactory::EnumAdapters?

• Marked as answer by RenGate Saturday, August 25, 2012 6:27 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:35 AM