none
best practice to share a project

Question

• Hi,

More than often I have to share my project to another and when I do all the settings get invalidated such as dependencies, language standard and others. It seems everyone in my team got slightly another version of Visual Studio, SDK and build tools also need to be reelected too. 

Is there a proper way of sharing a project? My team is working with vs c++. 

Any advice appreciated

• Edited by JonasLub Friday, May 24, 2019 6:18 PM
    Friday, May 24, 2019 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi JonasLub,

Sorry for delay in reply.

According to your requirement, we recommend you could use Github to share the project. And you could upload and continuously update your project on it. Please refer this site to start Github tour.

Any feed back will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, May 27, 2019 3:50 AM
  • Thanks, that is you are saying using versioning would make transferring files easier. 

What about the built tool version? Does it mean everyone need to have the same version? I imagine even I place the project in a git server they still would need to reselect build tools once they open a project. 

Saturday, June 8, 2019 7:16 PM
  • The thing is, they would receive a copy of your project. When using versioning, you have control over what changes get committed back. This means that unless they physically add files to the project, there is never any need for them to include changes to the project file.

So no, since you would be working with a separate copy of the project compared to the people who share your project then these setting don't need to be written back to your project.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Saturday, June 8, 2019 8:57 PM