none
Updated database will not delete records from linked tables. Linked file locations change back to Read Only RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to use my older estimating database on my new Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10.  I have been using it without error on a Windows 7 machine. 

The db was created years back and updated to the version of Access in Office XP developer.   I updated it to Office 2007 a while back and it runs fine on my I-3 machine with Windows7 just like earlier versions of WIN and Access.

On the older versions I had Access security, so before upgrading to my Surface Pro 3/Win10 machine I gave ALL Access permissions to the USER group.  I did this for all linked table databases also.   I no longer run this in a multi-user environment, so I don't need ANY security... just me now.

So I have a Main db for structure, forms, queries, etc, and linked tables for standing/static data and another db with linked tables for client estimates.

• So First I notice that when I open the Main db when it resides on my Desktop it opens as normal.  However if I open it in a location c:\program files\folder... it opens as READ ONLY.
    • When I open the main db on my Desktop and try to drill into menus it does go in, and I can execute dropdowns and query data, but once I click to begin an estimate I get:  Runtime Error 3086... "Could not delete from specified tables.  

It is trying to clear temp data from Linked tables prior to starting.

My guess is it is because the linked table files are not on my desktop.   I have Unblocked the files and made them and the folders Not-Read Only... using Administrator Privileges.

EVERY TIME I Make the Folders Not-Read Only and then Execute the commands in my database which attempt to delete records...   Something changes the folders containing the Linked data back to Read Only.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thx,

TP

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 11:07 PM

Answers

• You should not be putting any updateable files or documents in folders under Program Files application folders. This method is archaic. Unless you have disabled it, UAC Virtualization protects certain system folders such as Program Files. If you attempt to updated files in this folder you may see the UAC dialog requesting Admin privileges and data files or documents are typically copied and updated (redirected) in the VirtualStore folder, which is transparent to the user. The VirtualStore folder is located at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore if you want to see what has been copied there by UAC.

I would recommend placing your files under either a Documents subfolder for the user, or one of the AppData folders for the user.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

• Marked as answer by titlepusher Thursday, August 17, 2017 8:57 PM
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:15 PM
  • Well first, c:\program files and c:\program files (x86) are read-only directories, and you can't change that. So you can't  run ACCESS from them at all. Move all ACCESS files to another directory.
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 11:49 PM

All replies

• Well first, c:\program files and c:\program files (x86) are read-only directories, and you can't change that. So you can't  run ACCESS from them at all. Move all ACCESS files to another directory.
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 11:49 PM
  • You should not be putting any updateable files or documents in folders under Program Files application folders. This method is archaic. Unless you have disabled it, UAC Virtualization protects certain system folders such as Program Files. If you attempt to updated files in this folder you may see the UAC dialog requesting Admin privileges and data files or documents are typically copied and updated (redirected) in the VirtualStore folder, which is transparent to the user. The VirtualStore folder is located at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore if you want to see what has been copied there by UAC.

I would recommend placing your files under either a Documents subfolder for the user, or one of the AppData folders for the user.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:15 PM
  • Thank you!!!
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 8:56 PM
  • Thank you!!
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 8:57 PM