ED4 Clicking in artboard and everything disappears! RRS feed

• Question

• I'm brand new to using Designer 4 and used to the way CAD works. Clearly this is no CAD tool as it deviates from years of what professional practice and vector drafting tools has taught me.

For example, when trying to use the pen tool I click on the artboard and all other drawn elements disappear. WTF?

I have to hold shift key AND repeatedly select items in a layer to display them all over again. WTF?

There is no way to freeze a drawn asset on the artboard to prevent it from moving around once its been drawn?

I'm reading through help and viewing videos and have not found any solution yet. I think anybody reading this could sense my frustration as this software can't be this poorly developed and I have to think it is me so can somebody explain what I am doing wrong here?

So I just discovered drawn "objects" remain displayed if they are filled with a color. Is it true then I cannot simply draw a bunch of linework and keep it all displayed while drawing other linework without filling with color(s)?

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:13 PM

Answers

• Sounds like you may have 'no stroke' selected and/or 'zero' stroke width.  Is there a diagonal red line in the second box (Line color setting) in the upper left of the Appearance Palette?  If so, change it by clicking on it and choose a color and/or select a stroke width of at least 1 pixel.  When using the Pen tool to draw, you can use the Esc key to end the line; this will allow you to draw a new line without connecting to the first line.

It's normal that selecting multiple lines will 'display' them; they are there, but have no color and/or no stroke width.  You can see them by setting your (Menu) View>Wireframe (Control + Shift + Y) This combo is a toggle for in and out of wireframe view.

Regarding 'freezing' objects; Select the object, right click and choose 'Lock'.  Right clicking a locked object gives you the option to unlock it. Or go to the Layer Palette and select the object there and lock it by clicking the lock icon (clicking again, unlocks it.)

Let me know if this solves your problems!

Regards,

~Fred
    • Marked as answer by SignCaster Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:00 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:29 PM

All replies

• Sounds like you may have 'no stroke' selected and/or 'zero' stroke width.  Is there a diagonal red line in the second box (Line color setting) in the upper left of the Appearance Palette?  If so, change it by clicking on it and choose a color and/or select a stroke width of at least 1 pixel.  When using the Pen tool to draw, you can use the Esc key to end the line; this will allow you to draw a new line without connecting to the first line.

It's normal that selecting multiple lines will 'display' them; they are there, but have no color and/or no stroke width.  You can see them by setting your (Menu) View>Wireframe (Control + Shift + Y) This combo is a toggle for in and out of wireframe view.

Regarding 'freezing' objects; Select the object, right click and choose 'Lock'.  Right clicking a locked object gives you the option to unlock it. Or go to the Layer Palette and select the object there and lock it by clicking the lock icon (clicking again, unlocks it.)

Let me know if this solves your problems!

Regards,

~Fred
    • Marked as answer by SignCaster Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:00 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Those issues were pertinent thank you Fred. I need to spend more time with it now...

Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:05 PM