none
R2 vs 2009 EDI Capabilities RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,
      I've been working with BTS 2004 since, well, 2004.  We are finally moving to 2009.  While there are a lot of useable books out there already for 2009, I need something directly related to EDI.  I found 'Pro EDI in Biztalk Server 2006 R2' out there, but was wondering how applicable it would be to 2009.
      I already have 'Pro Biztalk 2009', 'Pro Mapping in BTS 2009', and 'SOA Patterns With BTS 2009'.
      Any and all comments will be appreciated. 
    Thanks,
    Glenn
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:27 PM

All replies

• I read the Pro EDI in BizTalk Server 2006 R2 and found it a pretty good introduction, but there are a lot of scenarios unaddressed by the book. It is helpful for setting up a test environment and it gives you a reasonable foundation on understanding EDI parties, etc. The advanced EDI scenarios are still only really documented on MSDN unfortunately (as far as I know).

Obviously it does not cover the BizTalk 2009 stuff either but most of the BizTalk 2009 functionality is an extension of what you had in BizTalk 2006 R2. BizTalk 2009 has more options for batching and a better designer for configuring your batch settings.

The major EDI shift in BizTalk 2009 is that the HIPAA EDI functionality is built-in rather than as a separate add-on component like with BizTalk 2006 R2.

Thanks,
    If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:09 PM
  •   Thanks for the info, Ben.  Since I am not looking for HIPAA support you have provided enough information to make a decision.  Sounds like the EDI R2 book will be helpful, even if not 100%.
      The Pro Mapping 2009 book also has a relatively in-depth section on the (you guessed it) mapping of EDI transactions, so between the two I should be good.
    Thanks again,
    Glenn
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:52 PM